DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

V2820Vn hard reset on incoming VOIP calls

• reetp
  • Topic Author
More
09 May 2011 16:56 #7 by reetp

admin wrote:

Why should geography make a difference when ....... c) it seems to work happily with your Draytel service...... could you kindly explain that ??????

It's not 'my' DrayTEL service!...but anyway... Are you saying that if you use DrayTEL in Spain, instead of your preferred SIP provider, then the problem does not occur ?

No, if you read above carefully :

There are 2 routers. a 2820 and a 2820Vn

I use the 2802Vn for out main internet connection. The other is reserved solely for a VPN & VOIP back to our Telrad exchange in our office in the UK

On the main (internet) router particular I have 2 SIP connections/accounts.

ONE is connected to the Draytel service (http://www.draytel.org/ - I don't think there is any differentiation between UK and Spain) This works fine and without any problems - only use this as an emergency account.

The SECOND is a VOIP/SIP via the secondary router. This particular connection goes from the main router, via a default route locally to the secondary router and thence via the VPN.

If I disconnect the main internet router from the internet, the Draytel connection would fail (no internet) but the SIP connection does not use the internet on this router - it goes via the default route, and then VPN back to the exchange.

SO this is NOT location specific but a problem with the router itself.

I also have a Telrad IP phone that connects directly into the secondary router and also connects back to the exchange via the VPN. This has no problems at all.

Let me know if this isn''t clear and I'll try & draw a diagram !

I have just upgraded both routers to 3.3.5.2 The SIP connection still takes ages to get established - often it is quicker to go in to the settings, change something & save, change it back and save again and then it may just register.

Other problems were that once registered, I could ring out, incoming calls would make it ring, but you could not answer with it. It would often trip the router. Now you can ring out, but it does not even ring on incoming calls.

I have no idea what the answer is, but it's a firmware/hardware problem in the router.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2011 18:13 #8 by admin
I'm still not getting it exactly, but it's late and i'm a bit tired, sorry. I accept that it's a router problem because a router should never reboot, even when it's provoked :-)
Is it that MAIN router (V2820Vn) which reboots?

this is NOT location specific but a problem with the router itself.

I don't follow why, if the problem doesn't occur for users in the UK, then the trigger could be your location.

(I appreciate I'm not being terribly helpful!)

Forum Administrator

• reetp
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2011 00:57 #9 by reetp

admin wrote: I'm still not getting it exactly, but it's late and i'm a bit tired, sorry. I accept that it's a router problem because a router should never reboot, even when it's provoked :-)
Is it that MAIN router (V2820Vn) which reboots?

Know the feeling :-) Yes, it is the 2820Vn. And yes, I agree it should never do a hardware reset of its own accord under any circumstances.

reetp wrote: this is NOT location specific but a problem with the router itself.

I don't follow why, if the problem doesn't occur for users in the UK, then the trigger could be your location.

That's a broad assumption that this has never happened in the UK. I fully accept that I might have a slightly unusual configuration. Perhaps no one else in the UK has this particular one. I don't believe it is location specific for the simple reason that it is not reliant on the internet connection. The trips occurred whilst there was an incoming call from the secondary (VPN/VOIP) router. If I disconnected the internet, the router would just act as a switch. So unless there is something odd about VPNs that is different in Spain to the UK, then perhaps someone could tell me !!!!

Perhaps someone could shed some light on what differences there are in phone systems that MAY cause this problem ? OK, voltage may have an effect. What else ? We are talking about a SIP digital signal. That's the same wherever you plug the things in, is it not ?

(I appreciate I'm not being terribly helpful!)

At least you are replying and thinking about it !

Part of the confusion is that the main router (2820VN) can obviously handle SIP phones. One of the SIP accounts on it does indeed go via the internet to a Draytel account. The other SIP account gets routed via a static route to the secondary router and then via a VPN back to the office in the UK.

Ironically, now that I have flashed both routers to 3.3.52 I have even less functionality ! It will allow you to register and dial, but no ring tone, and not a thing incoming at all.

On top of that, I sometime ran a softphone using the same static route and VPN which had always worked OK and has now ceased to function. It will also allow you to register and dial, but again no ring tone, and not a thing incoming at all. The Draytel account works perfectly as it has done all along....... grrrrr..........................

That has ONLY changed with the firmware update.

Very shortly going to lob the lot in a bin and start again. This sort of thing should just WORK (well, it sort of did before the upgrades).

I am quite happy to test & debug etc. if someone will spare the time.............

Rough network diagram is here :

http://www.reetspetit.net/mybay/Draytek/Network_Layout.pdf

Funny when you map out what you see in your head !

More
10 May 2011 07:49 #10 by admin
1. Thank you for the diagram; much clearer. I think you've saying that the reboot occurs when the Internet is disconnected from the 2820Vn...in which case, all its doing is acting as a relay for the IP phone and softphone connected to it, whilst its own phone ports are disabled on account of the Internet being disconnected. Is this reboot random, occasional or very regular/predictable ?

2. You say you've used "Localphone" but they are UK based, no? Is there an actual Spanish based local SIP provider you can test with?

3. After the reboot, did you telnet to the router and get the "sys ver dbg" log ? DrayTek can examine that data.

Forum Administrator

• reetp
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2011 15:11 #11 by reetp

admin wrote: 1. Thank you for the diagram; much clearer. I think you've saying that the reboot occurs when the Internet is disconnected from the 2820Vn...in which case, all its doing is acting as a relay for the IP phone and softphone connected to it, whilst its own phone ports are disabled on account of the Internet being disconnected. Is this reboot random, occasional or very regular/predictable ?

Thought it might help !

With 3.3.3 & 3.3.5.1 it regularly occurred with an incoming call from the Telrad exchange (I think I missed it off the diagram but it's at 10.0.0.180) to the SIP account on the router. I didn't have a chance to test with the internet disconnected as we were using it all the time. However, now I have upgraded to 3.3.5.2, as advised, I can't even connect properly to the Telrad system so I'm unable to test whether it crashes or not..... I can't get calls going at all, so something has changed in the SIP settings.

2. You say you've used "Localphone" but they are UK based, no? Is there an actual Spanish based local SIP provider you can test with?

Don't remember mentioning anything about this ???? I think it was another user (plemonde) - he seemed to have a similar problem with crashes on incoming calls.

3. After the reboot, did you telnet to the router and get the "sys ver dbg" log ? DrayTek can examine that data.

IF I can get it to login again and IF I can get some calls going, I'll do that !

For now I'm stuck getting it to register on the Telrad system. Even my normally reliable Twinkle softphone will not receive calls from the Telrad now. It can make a call (but no sound in either direction) but receives nothing. My guess is there is some form of block someplace.

Ironically, the hardware Telrad IP phone carries on as normal. The Telrad Avanti SP15 Softphone also works perfectly (even under wine/Linux, though the graphics are bit flakey !)

So what's different ?

I don't know if the Telrad IP phones use different protocols than a standard SIP port or what else is different. But I'm seriously stuck !

More
10 May 2011 16:43 #12 by admin
You could also try this firmware and see if it fixes the reboots.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/download/v2820vn_3552rc6.zip
That is not the same as any other firmware of a similar name :-)

However, before you install that, do a backup of your current config and get a copy of your current firmware so that you can restore both after testing.

Forum Administrator