DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 and SIP Handset registration problem

• fguk77
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2011 12:16 #1 by fguk77
We have 7 Snom 300`s plugged into a network with a 2820 that routes out to the internet and they register with a Gradwell hosted PABX system (over Gradwell b/band). All working fine for most of the time, but every two or so weeks, one of the extensions will go offline and not register with the service. You can reboot the phone as much as you like, but until you reboot the router it wont register again. Once that is done, all is fine for another few weeks, and then it will more than likely be a completely different phone that isnt able to register.

We have SIP ALG turned off, we have all devices using their own SIP ports (5060, 5062) and NAT'ing set up for each. All phones are on fixed IP`s, and the data network uses the secondary WAN port on the 2820 for normal broadband, so we have no bandwidth problems.

It sounds like something is getting "full" then refusing to do the business, and obviously the reset clears it out until the next time. but that isnt the most scientific answer, nor does it solve the problem!

Any ideas gratefully received. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2011 14:38 #2 by lyj_e1
Hi,

We have a similar situation using Gradwell and Linksys phones. Recently moved over to a 2830N. Had problems with picking up calls and transferring until we setup rules to open certain ports for each fixed IP phone. It's a lot better but occasionally it won't transfer to another internal extension. We had to reboot our old 2820 several times a week to reset the phones, hence why we have replaced it with a 2830N. Not had to reboot in 3 weeks so far.

Lyj

• briain
  • User
  • User
More
17 May 2011 16:30 #3 by briain
Hi

I've been having a nightmare with VoIP. I have one standard phone attached to the 2820Vn VoIP phone socket and a SIP account set up in the 2820Vn (using Draytel); this works absolutely fine. I also have a Cisco WIP-310 802.11g SIP phone which is set up to the same account and is on pore 5062 (which is open in the 2820).

I've had the Cisco phone for just over a year and had issues with it dropping calls and not re-registering. This was a common problem and Cisco eventually released new firmware (a few months ago). It would seem that this has cleared up all the issues folks were complaining about in the Cisco forum, but I seem to be having more problems than ever. The WIP310 will work flawlessly for a day or so, then next time I look, it is sitting with a 'Not Registered' message on its screen. I have to restart the WIP310 before to get it to register (contrary to the above post, restarting the 2820Vn doesn't fix it; I always have to restart the WIP310).

If I answer 2 or 3 calls on my wired phone (the one attached to the 2820Vn socket) then it usually causes my WIP310 to loose registration (again, this requires a WIP310 restart to fix things). If I only use the WIP310, It sometimes works well for a several of days, but other times it seems to dr-register itself several times a day.

In addition, I can accept numerous multi-minute calls and everything is fine, but then I get several calls that drop after only a few seconds, then the WIP310 seems to drop registration and re-register itself.

I've tried changing almost every setting over the year but can't get this to fly. I've spend a year cursing Cisco, but it seems their new firmware has sorted every other WIP310 user except me. That leaves me thinking this might be down the the 2820Vn and I wonder if anyone here has any ideas (or similar experiences). My gut feeling is that the Cisco is still duff, but who knows.

Bri

• fguk77
  • Topic Author
More
17 May 2011 18:02 #4 by fguk77
Lyj

Thanks for your response. I am going to try the latest firmware upgrade which will make it "more like" the 2830 model, and hopefully that will fix it. Having said all of that, I havent had to do a reboot for a while.

Bri

I think it would be wise to ensure that you have the latest firmware for the 2820 (as above), and also that you have a fixed IP for the phone, and specific ports forwarded and open to that IP (by specific I mean whatever the CISCO uses, I am afraid I have no idea personally). It might help, or you might of already done all of that! Just an after thought, are you wireless to the 2820? Could be that is failing over and above any port issues you may be having?

• briain
  • User
  • User
More
18 May 2011 10:50 #5 by briain
Hi

I just spotted the new FW after writing my post; I installed it late last night and thus far, the phone has remained registered. I'll post back here to let folks know (either way) whether it has made any difference or not.

I hadn't set it as fixed, but instead I had used MAC/IP binding and set the WIP310 on port 5062 (and opened ports 5062 and 5063 in the Draytek). I had massive problems with Draytek's wireless capabilities a couple of years back. I'd suspect that they're all resolved now, but at that time, I bought a Cisco 1200 WAP. I was so impressed by it that I bought a Cisco 1252 on eBay and that's even better (I don't need the 802.11n, but the MIMO antenna system not only benefits the received signal, but Cisco also use their 'client link' to time align the two transmit signals sent back to 802.11g clients and it really makes a difference over indirect radio paths to devices several rooms away from it; where I used to get lower rates, I now get the full 54 MB).

Somewhat ironic that it's both a Cisco 802.11 phone and their top of range WAP that are giving me all this grief; at lease they can't blame the WAP! :D

Bri

• briain
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jun 2011 09:09 #6 by briain
Hi Folks

I have now tried the WIP310 (Cisco VoIP 802.11 SIP phone) on another router and it lost its ability to re-register after a day, so it's definitely the Cisco phone and not the Draytek router's fault! :)

Bri