DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vodafone E160X on 2820

More
26 Feb 2009 00:38 #7 by inichol
Replied by inichol on topic Vodafone E160X on 2820
Yup I have this 3G modem too, can't get it to work with the 2820. Hope Draytek can add it soon as putting these out on sites as a backup for just £39 a piece would be fantastic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• legal
  • Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2009 07:40 #8 by legal
Replied by legal on topic Vodafone E160X on 2820
Inichol - have you asked Draytek support to add it to the supported modems - I ran the tests they asked for but have not heard back. It might be as well if they were aware that there are a number of customers looking for this modem to be supported. (PS the modem is only of use for basic backup, as its upload speed is 1st generation!!!)

More
26 Apr 2009 17:56 #9 by fnordianslip
Replied by fnordianslip on topic wfm
Works for me on my 2820vn on Vodafone top up and go mobile broadband. Using router firmware 3.3.1.

Configs:
APN:pp.internet
ATDT*99#
web
web

fnord

• legal
  • Topic Author
More
15 May 2009 22:33 #10 by legal
fnord - thanks, using the settings you provided the 3G usb stick is now working with the 2820! Thanks! (disappointingly though, no feedback from Draytek support - bearing in mind the cost of their products they will have to back them up with a quality level of support response)

More
16 May 2009 17:24 #11 by inichol
Replied by inichol on topic Vodafone E160X on 2820
Doesn't (repeatedly) work for me with those settings, whatever the firmware.

The router can see the Vodafone USB stick OK (and reports signal strength etc) but just can't seem to make it dial.

I did once manage by chance to get it to connect via 3G but then it wouldn't go back to the ADSL at all until I unplugged the USB 3G modem altogether and rebooted the modem.

Draytek are absolutely nuts to be ignoring these 3G issues, they should be throwing people into getting this working reliably, especially with the PAYG 3G stuff that you can set up and then forget without having to pay a monthly bill. They would make so much money with all the companies especially small businesses that would kill for a cheap 3G backup option on their router.[/u]

• legal
  • Topic Author
More
18 May 2009 09:39 #12 by legal
Certainly doesn't sound good what you are experiencing! - running 3.3.0 f/w here, IN WAN>General Setup I have WAN 1 & 2 enabled but WAN 1 set as always on & Wan 2 as active on demand with the setting as active on WAN1 fail, then in WAN>Internet Access, I have both wan 1 & wan 2 with PPP Client Mode enabled. Seems to be working fine, as, if the adsl goes down (or indeed waiting to connect on a reboot) the 3G cuts in & allows internet browsing, then as soon as the adsl comes back up the 3G is dropping out automatically!
If you want to post your settings I can check how they compare with ours?

Moderators: Sami