DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to PLease - Restricting kids access

• davidj
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2009 12:42 #1 by davidj
I have purchased a Vigor 2820 in the hope I can restrict my tech savvy kids (use proxies, etc) from over using games on the web.
Firstly I need to know how I can use the Mac address of their machine rather than the IP (which they can change) to restrict their access.
Second I want to allow each of them say one hours use per day to a particular website (Runescape.com).
Is this possible?
Also given that the game site uses Java will the restriction kick them out after the time limit.
Thanks for advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2009 12:53 #2 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access
In the Router settings, go To 'Bind IP to MAC' in the LAN section.
Make sure the PC's are on Dynamic IP.
Now add each PC to the IP Bind List.

This will make sure that they always get the same IP address.
If you now select the 'Strict Bind' option at the top any machines that are not in the list will not be allowed to access the internet, even if one is given a static IP.

You can now create your firewall rules based on the IP addresses.

More
13 Feb 2009 13:13 #3 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access
If these kids are savvy enough to change client IP's then how will setting the PC's IP's to dynamic stop them simply reverting to static ?

It's also trivial to change the mac address of a PC

• davidj
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2009 13:26 #4 by davidj
Replied by davidj on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access
Presumably if they change it to a fixed IP address, this will be recognised by the Router?
They have already suggested that they know how to change the MAC address when I mentioned it.
These kids are not future rocket scientists, surely everyone must have similar problems with their children, how do others deal with it? I specifically bought this router as I was advised it would meet my demands.
ALSO
Can you advise on restricting to the one hour on a game site?
Thanks

• davidj
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2009 13:27 #5 by davidj
Replied by davidj on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access
Presumably if they change it to a fixed IP address, this will be recognised by the Router?
They have already suggested that they know how to change the MAC address when I mentioned it.
These kids are not future rocket scientists, surely everyone must have similar problems with their children, how do others deal with it? I specifically bought this router as I was advised it would meet my demands.
ALSO
Can you advise on restricting to the one hour on a game site?
Thanks

More
13 Feb 2009 13:38 #6 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access

rothers wrote: If these kids are savvy enough to change client IP's then how will setting the PC's IP's to dynamic stop them simply reverting to static ?

It's also trivial to change the mac address of a PC

True, but if you had read my post properly, then because the router blocks all IP's that are not in the Bind list, setting the IP to a static one, or changing the MAC (which would mean it got a different IP) would mean the machine was blocked from accessing the internet.

davidj wrote: Can you advise on restricting to the one hour on a game site?

I think you need to look at the Schedule for this. I have not used it myself so I can't give you much more information.

Moderators: Sami