DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to PLease - Restricting kids access

More
18 Oct 2009 21:14 #19 by paj1234
Replied by paj1234 on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access
It gives me no pleasure to report that the Vigor 2820n is indeed affected. It cannot terminate existing MSN Messenger sessions using scheduled firewall rules. Nor can it terminate other types of continuous data sessions such as streaming videos and playing certain games, either. I received this email from Ashar Zia at SEG Technical Support confirming the problem:

Unfortunately the firewalls on Vigor routers do have this disadvantage. The filters will only work for the packets of newly-established sessions. For the existing sessions that were initiated before the firewall is enabled (manually or by schedule), the firewalls treat them as legal ones and will not exam the packets.

However there is a work around by using an additional schedule at the same time which disconnects and reconnects the Internet session.Create another schedule which 'force down' PPPoE/PPPoA connection for 1 min & re-establish. This schedule will apply at 'PPPoE/PPPoA' for WAN1.

Well, I tried that, but it had unwanted side effects. For example, I tried it with 2 PCs, one running MSN Messenger, the other loading/playing a YouTube video. The progress of loading the Youtube video was interrupted for 1 minute while the PPPoA link was down, but then did not resume when the PPPoA link came back up. I had to restart the video, then manually move the position in stream to the place where it was.

I ordered the Vigor 2820n to fulfil my customer's request, which was, "help us put our child to bed", in other words, stop Internet games and chat on a laptop and on a Sony Playstation Portable at a certain time. They also stipulated that the family's other computers were not to be affected. Sadly the Vigor 2820n cannot deliver this requirement. I will have to try another product.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2009 17:35 #20 by mordorf
Replied by mordorf on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access
I use scheduled firewall rules to control my daughters internet access, messenger etc and it works fine with my 2820vn. I have one rule that just stops keywords, P2P and messenger apps between the hours of 5pm-7pm so that she can do her home work and still use the internet for research. Another that stops everything at 9:30pm. I know that they all work because at 5:01pm and 9:31pm she is downstairs nagging me to turn it back on. As for the kids changing the mac or ip address simply set a dhcp reservation and use the strict bind option.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami