Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to PLease - Restricting kids access

• davidj
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2009 13:49 #7 by davidj
Replied by davidj on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access
Thanks for that advice.
Just to clarify - If I have say a webserver or something that requires a fixed IP Do I add them via the Bind to Mac and then set the particular machine to dynamic OR presumably if I never intend to change the IP can I just leave it as fixed (Given that it has been bound)?
ALSO
As they use a laptop, which will not been on the network at the precise time I do this do I not check the strict bind at this point and await until I am sure they are all connected.
DO I understand correctly that enabling strict bind will not allow to connect another machine with this set?
Thanks and apologies if my questions are very basic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2009 14:09 #8 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access

davidj wrote: Thanks for that advice.
Just to clarify - If I have say a webserver or something that requires a fixed IP Do I add them via the Bind to Mac and then set the particular machine to dynamic OR presumably if I never intend to change the IP can I just leave it as fixed (Given that it has been bound)?

Fixed or dynamic - doesn't really matter as long as you add it to the bind list.

davidj wrote:
As they use a laptop, which will not been on the network at the precise time I do this do I not check the strict bind at this point and await until I am sure they are all connected.

Well you can either wait until they are all on, or turn on strict bind and add them to the list when somebody shouts :D

davidj wrote:
DO I understand correctly that enabling strict bind will not allow to connect another machine with this set?

With strict bind enabled new machines will be able to connect to your local network (so they can print and access any servers etc), but they will not be allowed out to the internet until they are added to the bind list.

• davidj
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2009 14:11 #9 by davidj
Replied by davidj on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access
THat great thanks for the info. I understand that any not bound when requiring access will simply need to be added, thats great and very helpful.

Many thanks

More
17 Feb 2009 17:06 #10 by pushy_s
Replied by pushy_s on topic Another way around this :!:
David

:idea: you can always use OpenDNS DNS servers which is free service and works great, This service will give you ability to create custom filter access to websites.

Best of all its a free service, give it a try and see how it goes.

Hope this helps

Singh

More
17 Feb 2009 18:55 #11 by njh
Replied by njh on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access
If you do use OpenDNS you would also need to create a filter to stop the kids setting their own DNS addresses in their PC's.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

More
18 Feb 2009 09:38 #12 by admin
Replied by admin on topic How to PLease - Restricting kids access
...or just move the PC to the living room so you know exactly what they're doing !

Forum Administrator

Moderators: Sami