DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Allow Exceptions to Web Filtering using URL Filtering

More
12 May 2009 22:35 #7 by louis-m
i'm out on the road at mo and in scarborough until saturday so can't give it a shot. i'll try when i get back if you can wait.

2820 = 3.3.2_RC5
2950 = 3.2.4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• neo314
  • Topic Author
More
13 May 2009 18:55 #8 by neo314
That would great and would certainly be appreciated.

If you need anything else from me, please let me know

More
14 May 2009 17:46 #9 by middling
Theoretically what louis-m suggested should work. Unfortunately the firewall in the 2820 is currently broken when it comes to any kind of chaining of rules.

I've mentioned it previously in these forums, and it's been broken for a long time (and several firmware revisions) so i'm not holding out much hope for a fix any time soon.

More
16 May 2009 17:19 #10 by louis-m
unfortunetely, after testing, i'm inclined to agree with middling.
i could'nt get the default web content filter going.

although, it can categorise sites, it didn't perform the block.
a simple test to confirm.....
1. csm>web content filter> create rule to block all categories eg "block all"
2. whilst in there, test eg hotmail, result=webmail
3. firewall>general setup> action=block, web content filter= above created rule eg "block all"

result = everything still goes out (even though anything categorised above should be blocked)

2820 = 3.3.2_RC5
2950 = 3.2.4

• neo314
  • Topic Author
More
17 May 2009 17:45 #11 by neo314
Well thats put a bit of a downer on my purchase since it was the filtering that i bought it.

I have emailed support to see what they suggest, but really must thank you for time.

You have really helped me understand the kit, and appreciate you taking time to test theory.

If i can feedback from support, i will let you know

More
19 May 2009 01:01 #12 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Web Content Filter
louis-m,

If firewall>generalsetup> Filter action=block then that means the default rule is to block all traffic. This is before we consider the web content filter. If devices are still able to access the internet it would suggest that there is an IP filter rule with action "pass", probably in the default data filter.

This pass rule means that the default web content filter rule does not apply. Find the pass rule in the IP filter and set the desired Web Content Filter profile.

The important thing to know is that IM Filter, Web Content Filter and URL Content Filter are only processed at the exit of the IP filter.

The actual profile that is processed depends on the IP filter rule on which the IP filter exits.

i.e with a Pass Immediately or Pass if no further match action (if there aren't any other matches)

Moderators: Sami