Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues

• benji
  • Topic Author
More
15 Aug 2009 21:37 #1 by benji
2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues was created by benji
Hi

Anyone else having outbound client PPTP VPN sessions stall with the new firmware? Oddly one thing listed as "fixed" is a dead VPN disconnection issue, though the specific bug might be something different to what I am seeing. No problems previously.

3.3.1.2 is fine. On 3.3.2.1 traffic over the VPN stops flowing at random intervals (minutes not hours), the client still thinks its connected though...

Windows 7 client to Windows 2003 VPN and/or Draytek 2900G VPN. Curiously the W7 client to Draytek seems to stall more frequently...

Just reverted the firmware and so far so good :?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2009 10:32 #2 by flippin
Replied by flippin on topic 2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues
I have also found this.

I updated to new firmware last weekend, and now when I connect to any vpn it stops working after 6 or 7 minutes.

In windows, the VPN remains connected, but no traffic gets through. I have to disconnect the vpn and reconnect. Then I after a few minutes it happens again.

I am going to try and install the rst version and reload config to see if that fixes my problem.

I had no problems at all with the previous firmware (3.3.1.2)

More
27 Aug 2009 08:36 #3 by legal
Replied by legal on topic 2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues
Can you clarify? as this may be the answer to a problem we have. We use 2820 at main office but do not use it as the vpn server, rather PPTP as pass through with NAT port redirection set & then the Windows SBS server provides the VPN server for client dialing in over vpn.
All has been quite good with original 2600x & then the 2820, but recently we have endless drop outs/slowing to halt of the vpn. I can't remember exactly when I upgraded the firmware though.
We had thought this was due to a fault on the adsl line used at the client end as it seemed to be lowering its up-stream speed, but changes to the router there (2600 & a zyxel) and switching filters has done no good + BT claim not to see any fault.
Does this sound like the same issue?
Thanks

• benji
  • Topic Author
More
27 Aug 2009 12:50 #4 by benji
Replied by benji on topic 2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues
Its specifically relating to the versions of the firmware I mentioned - so if you are using the latest (3.3.2.1) then it could be a related issue. If you revert to the previous firmware I mentioned then that should/could eliminate your issue (or that its related).

If not it sounds like it could be a problem on the path between your client and server (or that your ISP is "messing" with something e.g. traffic shaping) Maybe try pathping or some other network tests.

More
01 Sep 2009 09:50 #5 by flippin
Replied by flippin on topic 2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues
I open a support call with Draytek, on Wed 26/08.

They said they would

"We haven't come across any VPN issues in new firmware yet.Might be particular with your configuration set up.I'll test it later today & will report if find any issues"

I haven't heard back from them yet, but they said that it is best to upgrade your modem firmware with the .rst file so that the machine is fully reset.

On the drop outs comment - I unticked the idle dropout setting for each vpn user (or set it to 0). We had no "dropouts" then - as we were getting lots of disconnections but that was by design I guess - and ppl would ring up saying "I have just been kicked off again!!" when they'd gone for coffee etc..

Legal - I think yours is a different issue to this - maybe related..There are lots of vpn / passthrough issues on the forum. A colleague was having issues and went back to a previous firmware and is fine.

More
01 Sep 2009 09:53 #6 by legal
Replied by legal on topic 2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues

flippin wrote: I open a support call with Draytek, on Wed 26/08.

Legal - I think yours is a different issue to this - maybe related..There are lots of vpn / passthrough issues on the forum. A colleague was having issues and went back to a previous firmware and is fine.

Thanks - have reverted to 3.3.1.2 meantime to see if that helps the issue.

Moderators: Sami