Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues

More
14 Sep 2009 23:49 #13 by flippin
Replied by flippin on topic 2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues
Hi Benji,

That sounds great, I got this

Could you please try the following?

After the vpn is connected, please run "ping (ip address) -t" to remote desktop machine so
that there is continuous vpn traffic. Please monitor if the problem still persist.

I thought that was it. Glad they have found the problem. I have had no problems with my draytek - until I recomended it and 4 offices got them - and then....... I knew it would be a jinx.

Have you been given a fix yet - I see nothing has posted. I have 3 dos prompts on my screen at the moment - keeping vpns up....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• benji
  • Topic Author
More
15 Sep 2009 09:20 #14 by benji
Replied by benji on topic 2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues
I didnt get anything else to test, but the previous firmware works great for me :wink:

More
21 Sep 2009 13:09 #15 by daniel.groves
Replied by daniel.groves on topic 2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues
Hi Guys,

I am suffering the same issue using firmware 3.3.3_RC3b on a 2820.

Although I thought it was to do with the load balancing at first untill I joined up and found this post.

Every 5 - 6 minutes the VPN drops.

Dan

More
19 Nov 2009 10:26 #16 by pawilson78
Replied by pawilson78 on topic Vigor 2820 - PPTP VPN connection drops
Prior to applying the latest firmware we experienced terrible PPTP VPN performance. The following occured:

1. Could not connect to Windows VPN server
2. If connection established the connection would drop within 5 to 15 mins

Initial remedial action was upgrade the firmware on Vigor 120 as a known issue exited that caused the unit to disconnect in the time frame we were experiencing. Whilst the upgrade fixed it's timeout issue, the same symptoms persisted with the PPTP VPN.

We finally got hold of the production release of 3.3.3_232201, I didn't want to test the beta release. After updating we were able to establish relatively stable VPN connections, with no random disconnect.

With VPN working again our users started to hammer the device (!), and another problem occurred. DoS.

Basically this then stopped a VPN session from working, and users were having to log on and off again. Plus to make matters worse it stopped internet access. Viewing SysLog highlighted the DoS attacks (or at least the perceived attacks).

The log reports DoS TCP Flag Scan and UDP Flood Defense attacks. A quick test of disabling all DoS immediatley improved the situation. Not ideal setup, so we've enabled everything again and we are working through the UDP Flood Defense thresholds to find the right balance.

The situation has improved, but is not fully eliminated. Compared to 3 weeks ago though we have made massive steps in the reliability of our VPN. HTH.

• benji
  • Topic Author
More
19 Nov 2009 10:35 #17 by benji
Replied by benji on topic 2820 with 3.3.2.1 VPN issues
Thanks for the update. As I mentioned originally the previous firmware (3.3.1.2) worked fine. I found the latest (3.3.3) fixed my 3.3.2.1 VPN issue.

I dont use DoS protection on the Draytek, its always seemed to add problems/overhead for rare/miniscule benefits.

Moderators: Sami