DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820

More
20 Oct 2009 16:04 #25 by petershelley
Replied by petershelley on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820
Afternoon,

I am trying to do the same blocking of Facebook but on a Vigor v3300.
Hardware Version 1.0
Firmware Version 2.6.0.0 (EN)

Unless I am completely blind (which is possible) I can't find "Object Settings", etc. on this model.

Any help would be appreciated.

The reason we're going to use the router and not OpenDNS to block the site, as we don't want the restriction on the whole network (MDs etc can do what they want).

Cheers

Pete

what once was one now fly apart!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2009 12:29 #26 by neilwright
Replied by neilwright on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820
I wish people would refrain from arguing over these forums and just put useful information. I have been reading through this lead and after the first few posts, any relevance to the original question has been lost.

I am looking for a way to block sites like facebook, myspace etc. But allow access for say 1 or 2 hrs over the lunch time period.

I am not looking for reasons why facebook and alike are 'dangerous' or why i should or shouldnt allow access. I would just like to know if it is possible and how to do it. I have my reasons and morals but im not here to discuss them.

I am using 2820n with firmware 3.3.3 i appreciate the first set of instructons, they work fine but only for permanantly blocking sites.
Could anyone shed any light on how to set up scheduled blocking?

Many thanks

More
19 Nov 2009 14:37 #27 by mordorf
Replied by mordorf on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820

NeilWright wrote: I wish people would refrain from arguing over these forums and just put useful information. I have been reading through this lead and after the first few posts, any relevance to the original question has been lost.

And I wish people that want help would refrain from flaming the people that are likely to give it to them!

Any how here is a quick run down of setting a schedule.

1.) Go to Applications > Schedule
2.) Select an unused schedule number and click it (note the number)
3.) The only things you need to select are:-
Enable Schedule
Start Date (just set it to todays date)
Start time (14:0 for 2pm)
Duration Time (setting it to 22:0 would mean that the schedule would
be active for 22 hours)
How Often (select each day that you require)
4.) OK the schedule
5.) Go to Firewall > Filter Setup
6.) Select the Firewall Rule and enter the schedule number(s) (you can have 4 schedules per rule)
7.) OK the changes to the firewall rule.

This example would mean the that firewall rule would block traffic from 14:00 until 12:00 noon the next day so your users could access Facebook for two hours each lunch time.

Hope this helps.

:wink:

More
19 Nov 2009 15:13 #28 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820
You'd need to set up a schedule, which is under Applications and Schedule, create a schedule time for 1-2 hours.
Then create a block if no further match rule in the filter rules, with a second rule set up to pass traffic to facebook/myspace, for that rule, put the schedule number in there, when that schedule item is active, the firewall rule will take effect.

edit: ah beaten to it :o and my way of doing it is probably more work

More
05 Dec 2009 10:39 #29 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820
Sign up to OpenDNS, and then set your setting to block social networking sites. OpenDNS is free to use, and their DNS platform is probably more stable than your ISPs.

Moderators: Sami