DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820

More
01 Sep 2009 13:10 #7 by sbv3000
Replied by sbv3000 on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820
what is useful to one may not be useful to another. :)

but keeping things distinct,

imho blocking a web site is not the same as blocking malware. For that a good commercial client or gateway product like Trend or Ironport is required. For bandwidth management then have in place a packetshaping solution that allows the control of protocols and traffic type to optimise business related traffic as necessary. the 2820 is an excellent small business device and the solutions above would generally be out of the price range that a small business can afford, hence management control comes to the fore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2009 13:31 #8 by mordorf
Replied by mordorf on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820

sbv3000 wrote:
imho blocking a web site is not the same as blocking malware.

So you think Facebook is safe!! One of my many strings is that of an EC Council certified and experienced ethical hacker and I can tell you that Facebook is not completely benign.

More
02 Sep 2009 17:41 #9 by joeyconcrete
Replied by joeyconcrete on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820
Facebook is no more dangerous than any other website - it's HTML and images afterall. The 'issue' if any is the ability to have user submitted content, but thats no more dangerous than say, a web forum.

There are well publicised privacy exploits with facebook but certainly none that will 'own' your PC.

More
02 Sep 2009 19:43 #10 by mordorf

JoeyConcrete wrote: Facebook is no more dangerous than any other website - it's HTML and images afterall. The 'issue' if any is the ability to have user submitted content, but thats no more dangerous than say, a web forum.

There are well publicised privacy exploits with facebook but certainly none that will 'own' your PC.

ROTFLMAO
As long as there are people like you my job is safe!

More
02 Sep 2009 20:13 #11 by joeyconcrete
Replied by joeyconcrete on topic Resticting Use of Facebook using Vigor 2820
Please elaborate oh Mr CEH. I'm interested to know how Facebook can be more dangerous than any other website.

More
02 Sep 2009 20:55 #12 by mordorf

JoeyConcrete wrote: Please elaborate oh Mr CEH. I'm interested to know how Facebook can be more dangerous than any other website.

I am not in the habit of teaching people how to perform malicious acts, that is not the purpose of an ethical hacker. My purpose is to highlight the possible dangers and how to not fall foul of them.

It would appear from your sarcastic attitude you doubt my credentials and experience in this matter, for that I care little of your opinion. I do not know you and have no desire to impress you.

If you would like to learn how to perform such malicious attacks anyone can become a script kiddie with very little effort, try google as a starting place and if that is to complicated for you there are some very good youtube tutorials that show you step by step. It is one thing to hack and another to understand what it is you are doing!
:wink:

Moderators: Sami