DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Change fixed IP to DHCP.....OUCH!

• floriank
  • Topic Author
More
15 Mar 2010 20:17 #13 by floriank
Replied by floriank on topic Change fixed IP to DHCP.....OUCH!
Thanks, this makes things a little clearer. So I switch on the DHCP server and ask it to dish our a certain range of IPs. I then set IPs outside this range manually in the control panel on all the computers I want to have fixed IPs. I then find their respective MAC addresses in the router web interface and bind them to the very same IPs I've set on theses computers. Hope this is correct.

NJH: "Have you by any chance switched on the port based VLANs?" - where would I check this please, I can't find it in the numerous configuration pages on the 2820 - Thanks![/i]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2010 22:18 #14 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Change fixed IP to DHCP.....OUCH!

floriank wrote: Thanks, this makes things a little clearer. So I switch on the DHCP server and ask it to dish our a certain range of IPs. I then set IPs outside this range manually in the control panel on all the computers I want to have fixed IPs. I then find their respective MAC addresses in the router web interface and bind them to the very same IPs I've set on theses computers. Hope this is correct.

No. If you fix the IP's in their control panels, you do not need to use the Bind to MAC option. It won't do anything as, once the IP is fixed, the PC will not ask the router for an IP address. The bind IP to MAC thing is a way of fixing the IP at the router so you do not have to fix it at the PC.

floriank wrote: NJH: "Have you by any chance switched on the port based VLANs?" - where would I check this please, I can't find it in the numerous configuration pages on the 2820 - Thanks!

Sorry I don't know. My routers have a completely different UI to yours. If you don't know, you probably have not switched them on.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami