DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Change fixed IP to DHCP.....OUCH!

• floriank
  • Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2010 19:40 #7 by floriank
Replied by floriank on topic Change fixed IP to DHCP.....OUCH!
That would be great!

Are you running a DHCP network for all clients connected to the 2820, with dynamic IPs assigned by the DHCP server or a mixed environment as suggested by NJH?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2010 22:56 #8 by roboughton
Replied by roboughton on topic Change fixed IP to DHCP.....OUCH!

floriank wrote: That would be great!

Are you running a DHCP network for all clients connected to the 2820, with dynamic IPs assigned by the DHCP server or a mixed environment as suggested by NJH?

Thanks

i run a mixed enviroment

my DHCP range starts at .100 upwards prior to that static server IPs are present set on the servers.
I also set some static IPs via the draytek its self

LAN > General setup enable DHCP

you can set your static IPs localy on each machine or via

LAN > Bind IP to MAC

• floriank
  • Topic Author
More
06 Mar 2010 22:30 #9 by floriank
Many thanks for that!

I'll play around with this and see what happens. Didn't know how to mix fixed and DHCP assignment - great stuff!!

• floriank
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2010 12:01 #10 by floriank
Very sorry but I can't get my head around this :cry:

In the LAN>>General Setup I tick 'Enable Server' on the DHCP side and set the Start IP as 192.168.1.20 (if I want automatically allocated IPs to start at that point). So this part sorts out my DCHP side so that the Vodafone Gateway is happy as it needs a DHCP assigned IP

But how do I then set up the the fixed IP side below 192.168.1.20? In the past I only ever used fixed IP by unticking the DHCP in the router setup, set 10.0.0.x IPs on each computer and gave the router for NAT usage an IP of 10.0.0.1.

Each computer could ping the other one and use their shared printers and all was well in computer land.

Now that I enabled DHCP, each computer is dynamically assigned it's own IP by the router and they all work ok and can access the internet but seem completely firewalled from each other, they can't see each other or share peripherals - why is that?

More
14 Mar 2010 16:18 #11 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Change fixed IP to DHCP.....OUCH!
You can cheat by using "sort of" fixed IP's. If you use the Bind-IP-to-MAC facility, the Vigor will always give out the same IP to the device with that MAC address. In that way you are using DHCP but to always hand out the same IP address. I suggest that any IP you bind to a MAC is outside your normal DHCP range of addresses.

Using DHCP they should not be firewalled from each other. There is something else wrong if that is happening. Have you by any chance switched on the port based VLANs?

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

More
15 Mar 2010 14:33 #12 by ts
Replied by ts on topic Change fixed IP to DHCP.....OUCH!
You can mix fixed and DHCP addresses easily by (as above) setting the DHCP range (ie the range of addresses that it will give out) to 192.168.1.50-192.168.1.250 (for example), and then making sure all of your servers have addresses below .50 (eg 192.168.1.10, 192.168.1.45).

The subnet of both the fixed addresses, and that given out by the DHCP server should be the same (in this case 255.255.255.0) and the gateway should be the address of the router.

Moderators: Sami