2860n+ - Connection dropout

• mhann.gsy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jun 2015 23:45 #7 by mhann.gsy
Replied by mhann.gsy on topic Re: 2860n+ - Connection dropout
Not yet as I wanted to get a feel for if it was a support issue or something I might have done in my settings or if anyone else had come across the issue as well.

Thanks babis3g.

I have already sent it back last year as the 5Ghz wifi module died. Hopefully not related to that, but you never know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jun 2015 09:03 #8 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Re: 2860n+ - Connection dropout

fchef wrote: Turned out the lid of the fax when opening pushed the tel cable a bit which had a loose clip.

Nice, that's a good one.

mhann.gsy wrote: The only other option is to replace all my cat5 cable in case it is one of them.

How do you think your cat5 cabling is related to the drop outs ? Are you running an extension cable on the ADSL to where you've got the router placed ?

When the drop out occurs, is the WAN definitely dropping? The WAN uptime would go back to counting up from 00:00:01

• mhann.gsy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Jun 2015 20:56 #9 by mhann.gsy

How do you think your cat5 cabling is related to the drop outs ? Are you running an extension cable on the ADSL to where you've got the router placed ?

No reason for the cat5 being an issue, only that the cat5 cable is the only thing I haven't replaced at all. ADSL is on a normal phone line direct into the router which has been replaced and tested using 3 different cable makes. Yes I am running an extension cable but I tried with a shorter cable at the main socket and also another seperate same length cable as is currently in place and the issue still remained.

When the drop out occurs, is the WAN definitely dropping? The WAN uptime would go back to counting up from 00:00:01

If I understand correctly, then yes WAN is definitely dropping out as I have no connection to the internet and have to wait up to 2 minutes sometimes to get a connection back.

It just seems to me to be a wireless issue rather than anything else.

Do you know of a way to zone off a specific wireless connection/ip address from the web which may solve this one problem (if I can confirm beyond a doubt which device it is that is affecting it of course).

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jun 2015 14:37 #10 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Re: 2860n+ - Connection dropout

If I understand correctly, then yes WAN is definitely dropping out

After an event I'd log into the router and check the routers system uptime and compare to the WAN uptime. If they're both identical (eg both say 4 mins something) then the router was rebooted. If the system uptime is xx hours but the WAN uptime is 4 mins then just the WAN rebooted. If both seem to be xx hours but you got disconnected from the wifi then it could be related to wifi (or even USB! I came across a USB issue the other day where the USB bus flapped due to a malfunctioning USB device and it kept making the PC's USB wifi dongle turn off / on / off / on as well until removed)

Do you know of a way to zone off a specific wireless connection/ip address from the web which may solve this one problem

You could use the IP filter to block a specific IP from accessing the internet but I'm not sure how that's going to help. Does it need access to the LAN but not the internet? In situations where I'm trying to rule things out I'd prefer just to keep a device turned off / disconnected for a test period. Makes it easier to do controlled experiments

• mhann.gsy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jun 2015 19:44 #11 by mhann.gsy
Thanks Macavity.

It is the WAN dropping out, current status says WAN1 ADSL/PPoA Up Time 26:01:33, whereas System Up Time is 72:17:42.

The Harmony Hub needs WiFi connection so the remote can control the Home Theatre system. However, the logs don't appear to be showing the IP/MAC address around the same time as the WAN dropout logs now which it used to do.

• knightvision
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
15 Sep 2015 19:03 #12 by knightvision
Replied by knightvision on topic Re: 2860n+ - Connection dropout
did anything get resolved here? i have exactly the same issue with the same syslog output.

It is driving me crazy!