DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Why does wifi on 2860 have to be turned off when adding APs

• steven_w
  • Topic Author
More
21 Feb 2016 08:44 #1 by steven_w
All, I have had a few installs where I thought just a 2860n or 2860ac would do, so I ordered them up & installed but then customer has come back to me to say wifi is not strong enough in certain areas. So lets say I need to only add 1 as long as the wifi from the original router is OK, that means I actually need to add 2 because you have to turn the wifi off in the main router.

Why is this? Because as an installer, it means I have to try to justify the additional cost to the customer, which can lead to a difficult conversation. I have 2 jobs like this right now that I have this exact situation.

Yet I have added AP900s to existing networks (say for example to a network with a BT home hub), left the main router untouched and the AP900 seems to work fine.

So why does Draytek say this has to be done?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2016 09:19 #2 by piste basher
Would you mind pointing me to where Draytek say this? I use a 2860n+ upstairs and an AP900 downstairs and haven't turned off the 2860 wireless. I was under the impression that there may only be two problems with this, neither of which affect me - one is that the central AP management doesn't apply to the 2860 itself and the other is when RADIUS authentication is employed. Is there another problem?

• steven_w
  • Topic Author
More
21 Feb 2016 09:31 #3 by steven_w
I'm digging through the Draytek knowledgebase but not found it yet... but I will be putting a call into them tomorrow as I'm fairly sure it was direct from one of their techs that they told me this.

I'll post back once I've got a proper answer from the horses mouth!

More
23 Feb 2016 22:42 #4 by admin
I've never heard this. I think there's some misunderstanding.

Forum Administrator

• steven_w
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2016 07:07 #5 by steven_w
Well I hope I've got the wrong end of the stick as it'll save a lot of money!

I didn't get a chance to call tech support yesterday I'll try today.

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
24 Feb 2016 16:26 #6 by sicon
Its not a misunderstanding they do actually say to switch it off but its only when you are using Multiple APs with the AP management Console. Basically none of the AP management features will apply to the 2860.
The 2860N doesn't integrate into itself, fast offload doesn't work, Roaming etc. etc.

If you just have 1 Access point then it doesn't matter, just connect to what ever is closest to you.

If you are going to do a project with multiple APs then just get a non wireless 2860