DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Why does wifi on 2860 have to be turned off when adding APs

More
24 Feb 2016 20:37 #7 by admin

sicon wrote: Its not a misunderstanding they do actually say to switch it off but its only when you are using Multiple APs with the AP management Console.

Where do they say this? Sure, the in-built wireless does not form part of a managed system, but it can still be used along side other managed or un-managed APs - I do it myself at home as I wouldn't want to pay for an extra AP either.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2016 10:50 #8 by sicon

admin wrote:

sicon wrote: Its not a misunderstanding they do actually say to switch it off but its only when you are using Multiple APs with the AP management Console.

Where do they say this? Sure, the in-built wireless does not form part of a managed system, but it can still be used along side other managed or un-managed APs - I do it myself at home as I wouldn't want to pay for an extra AP either.

I dunno perhaps its a Sale ploy but we were told this by the Sales Manager at the time and the technical guy that came with him

More
25 Feb 2016 11:14 #9 by admin
Well, most likely they said that if you want a fully managed system you should turn it off - if the discussion was about managed systems, the context would make sense. If you're doing ad-hoc then it can be used quite happily. I think it very unlikely they said this to sell more units... I think better of them; accepted you don't :-(

Forum Administrator

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2016 12:51 #10 by sicon

admin wrote: Well, most likely they said that if you want a fully managed system you should turn it off - if the discussion was about managed systems, the context would make sense. If you're doing ad-hoc then it can be used quite happily. I think it very unlikely they said this to sell more units... I think better of them; accepted you don't :-(

I do think well of Draytek and we manage a mix of 100s of their devices just in the scenarios we do then they are right in saying it needs to be switched off otherwise you will loose functionality...

If you only have a router a 1 access point then why would you use the management - in these situations you would leave the 2860N wifi on.

Generally these routers are (and should be) in a rack surrounded by metal retendering the wifi pretty useless so a 2860 only is supplied but in a SOHO then 2860N should be fine or a 2760.
There's really to many variables :D

• steven_w
  • Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2016 07:40 #11 by steven_w
Ah this is making sense now... I agree regarding the racks I have installed 2860s into as they are literally shrouded in metal in a closed room.

I still want to get it from the horses mouth, just been tied up all week on installs, but I will get to the bottom of it!

More
26 Feb 2016 08:56 #12 by admin
Here, from a DrayTek person:

horses_mouth wrote: Yes, that's correct. The built-in wireless can work at the same time as the external APs. It does not need to be disabled whether the external APs are managed or not, but as you say the internal wireless does not form part of the managed system so you should turn it off if you want fully managed wireless. Often, with a managed system the router isn't in an ideal position for wireless coverage anyway.

Forum Administrator