DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Why does wifi on 2860 have to be turned off when adding APs

• steven_w
  • Topic Author
More
31 May 2016 19:48 #13 by steven_w
To add to this discussion, I have just swapped my own 2860 with 2 x AP900s for a 2860ac and an AP902.

I have configured the SSIDs/passwords to be the exact same on both devices, will this cause any issue with handing off from one device to the other when moving through the house?

I used to have one of the AP900s with a different SSID so I knew which one I was connected to but obviously would prefer not to worry about that and have it all the same.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2016 14:00 #14 by piste basher
I have a setup with an AP900, AP710 and AP902 all connected to a 2860 (the AP900 and AP710 bridge to each other). Same SSIDs on all. I tried setting up the 802.1x RADIUS on one of the SSIDs as I believed that "fast roaming" and "pre authentication" would bring improvements to the roaming situation (using phones, iPads, Windows laptops). In fact I found that my devices would lose the connection and frequently have to be manually connected to the nearest access point with this set up.
So I have reverted to WPA2/PSK an all SSIDs and the system seems to work fine.

• steven_w
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jun 2016 17:53 #15 by steven_w
I have the AP902 in the master bed where I am now, but the Android phone I am using is still connected to the router in the hallway at roughly 25% signal even though I'm only 5 feet from the AP in the bedroom.

It was this that made me change the SSID of the bedroom AP so I could force a connection to it.

Something that would really help would be a mobile device app that allows site surveys and tests handoff between APs. Ruckus have a smart connection system that self configures, something like that would be great!