Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Slower speeds with 2860n

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jul 2017 16:19 #13 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Slower speeds with 2860n

g6ifs wrote: I'm using a 2860n with Virgin Media and getting 220 down and 12 up, paying for 200/10 so not complaining.
Using new firmware version 3.8.4.6 VT3 but not tried any others as this is the one for my modem code.

Could you explain the rationale behind that statement please?

The reason I ask, is that the Draytek Download Page (http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2860) says:-

The firmware we recommend is 3.8.4.6_BT . This version supports also vectoring and uses modem code 576D17.

I have looked at the alternate firmwares in the past, but I thought the 'Vectoring' stuff was totally irrelevant if you are using WAN2 and a Cable Modem to access the Internet?...

As an initial response to this problem report , Draytek have suggested that I use the "VT3" variant - and it does, indeed, slightly improve performance when Q.o.S. is enabled (though it doesn't fully solve the issue I reported).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2017 16:39 #14 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic Re: Slower speeds with 2860n
hornbyp,

When I originally sent my reply the new firmware was only available on the draytek.com site and there was not a "BT" version and the site said to match the modem code and in my cade this meant VT3 version. I thought at the time that Virgin on WAN2 would not be interested but I did wonder if there might be some other side effect if I got the modem code wrong.
Since then the versions, including the "BT" version has appeared on the draytek.co.uk site.

It is nothing more sinister than following Draytek instructions and stating which version I was on in case there are other differences between versions

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jul 2017 17:30 #15 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Slower speeds with 2860n
The plot thickens...

I hadn't actually noticed that a new firmware (3.8.4.6) was released on the 25/7/17 - I was actually running 3.8.4.5_VT3.

For a laugh, I just tried the long-winded "System Maintenance|Firmware Upgrade|Check the Latest Firmware" option in the GUI, to see which version that would download.

The answer is something called: 3.8.4.6_STD :?: . The "DSL Version" field on the Dashboard is now BLANK. :!:

Update - Based purely on the file size, I believe that is the one labelled as "Non Vector" on the Download site.