DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Critical Firmware Release

More
24 Jan 2017 13:01 #13 by lesd
Replied by lesd on topic Re: Critical Firmware Release

aweaton wrote: WAN1 is monitored using a ping detect (setup in WAN >> Internet Access) to ping Google DNS and Open DNS.

Please could you explain that? I cannot see how to do this.

Les

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jan 2017 13:51 #14 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Critical Firmware Release

qwaz01 wrote: Does anyone have any information regarding the critical firmware release for almost all DrayTek routers?

The latest Vigor 2860n (3.8.4.2) firmware appears to have INTRODUCED a Security bug (though it may have fixed others). This issue was actually spotted by my ISP! (Virgin Media).

Reported as case #DQ597435; this is the response I got from Draytek support :-

Draytek Support wrote: I'm looking into this case at the moment as a priority, thank you very much for bringing it to our attention. The current work around is to downgrade the router to 3.8.2.3 which seems to be working as expected. I have raised the case with the software engineers and will keep you informed.

Older firmware link:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/download/support/v2860_3823_BT.zip

From what I can tell, the equivalent update for the Vigor 2830n (3.6.8.6) does NOT suffer from the same issue. I don't know about any other models.

More
24 Jan 2017 17:41 #15 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Critical Firmware Release
This seems strange. It should be be accessible WAN side but should be limited only to the management IP/subnet you enter. As 3.8.4.2 was only to address security improvements, it should be otherwise identical to 3.8.4.1 so any problem was likely in that too. I think the better solution is to set long/complex private/public community strings.

Forum Administrator

• david@pogus.co.uk
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jan 2017 08:05 #16 by david@pogus.co.uk
Replied by david@pogus.co.uk on topic Re: Critical Firmware Release
I am finding some issues with the new critical firmware (2860n+). After applying it, I have internet connectivity, but not to everything. Speedtest.net (both the Windows app and the website version) will complete the download test but record no upload, also I cannot connect to a remote PC using LogMeIn. I have made no other change and have tried all the different firmware options (v1, v2 & v3) with v2 giving the best stability. Have tried a power cycle with pause (5 mins). My ISP is PlusNet (UK). I have made no other changes to settings. Any suggestions/ideas?
I am thinking I might have to revert to the earlier firmware.
thanks
David

More
31 Jan 2017 09:59 #17 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Critical Firmware Release
I'm on 3.8.4.3_BT and it's stable, no problems with connections as far as I can tell (just tried your Speedtest suggestion and I use several remote desktop connections). Do you have any firewall rules or route policies that would affect yours?

More
31 Jan 2017 10:18 #18 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Critical Firmware Release
turn off hardware acceleration...seems to cause more trouble than benefits for some

Forum Administrator