Vigor2830 and BT Infinity using a BT Business Smart Hub

• dansw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Sep 2017 16:09 #1 by dansw
Hi,

Our old standard broadband account came to the end of its lease so I was without a failover broadband line to run alongside our main Virgin Fibre line that goes into our Draytek 2830 to service our LAN. Forgetting I had any problems whatsoever in setting up the Virgin Fibre with the Draytek (having to purchase multiple IPs and use the SuperHub etc), I blindly went and signed up to BT Inifinity (fibre) for business that the engineer fitted today. However, I am looking at a BT Business Smart Hub that is not yet connected to my LAN and wondering what I am meant to do. I don't know if I am meant to connect the Smart Hub to the Draytek (like the Virgin Superhub) or whether I have a fixed IP address or may need others...or does the Smart Hub have a working bridge mode that I am meant to use...anyone set one of these Business Smart Hubs to run with their Draytek?

Thanks

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2017 10:22 #2 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Vigor2830 and BT Infinity using a BT Business Smart Hub
I assume that you are using the GigaWan port for the VM in modem mode.

I'm not sure what the 2830 supports through the RJ11 socket, but there must be a way to configure this to make the business hub redundant. Do you get a cancellation period like consumer, i.e. 14 days? If it is for failover, couldn't you use something a little less demanding like a consumer package, and scrap the rubbish router they provide?

• dansw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2017 13:36 #3 by dansw
Yes, I'm using the GigaWan port for Virguin Fibre...and it has just dawned on me - can I actually have two fibre lines coming off the Draytek being that the second one is for 'dsl'? I see the Business Hub does have a bridge mode:

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35226/~/how-do-i-enable-bridge-mode-on-my-bt-business-hub-5%3F/c/5098/

but I am now concerned that I can't attach that to the WAN1 port... :roll:

Dan

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2017 13:52 #4 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Vigor2830 and BT Infinity using a BT Business Smart Hub
Does the 2830 support multiple subnets? I don't think it does.

I only ask this as on the 2860, you can set routing policies up, and have seen the ability to select LAN's as a policy.

Also, I have seen virtual WAN's, but I don't know too much about this. You could do with buying an entry level 2925, or 2925n if you require some 2.4 wireless, this will give you two giga LAN ports. It is listed as untested, but depends where it come from. I would consider that route anyway.

I have just had a quick look on a well known aution site. 352169762110 is the item number, and will potentially get you out of the brown stuff, and add some more flexilbility. It is listed as untested, but depends where it come from. I would consider that route anyway.

• dansw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2017 14:13 #5 by dansw
Thanks, I think the 2830 can handle multiple subnets....

I have pinged off a support request to Draytek to see what they say before I start panicing outright. Interestingly I have 3 of these Draytek units in the building, one in use and the other two redundant/backup. I guess I could rig the 3rd 'spare' one to work with BT on it's WAN2, but it wouldn't automatically failover as it would on the one machine unless there's a way I don't know about!

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2017 14:44 #6 by silverstreak_2006
What are the other Draytek's you have?