• moose56
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Oct 2017 21:46 #1 by moose56
Vigor 130 speed drop off was created by moose56
Hi,

I have been using a new Vigor 130 for the last week connected to BT Infinity. All ok, but after it being connected for a couple of days the internet connection dropped from around 68Mb to 2.5Mb.

Restarting the modem returned the speed back to around 68Mb.

This has happened 3 times now, each after a couple of days. Any idea what could cause the slow down?

David.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
20 Oct 2017 06:58 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 130 speed drop off
It sounds more like an error at the cabinet. I was seeing disconnects but the synch didn't drop that much.

I am on an ECI FTTC cabinet and found the firmware was causing the problem.

I flashed my 130 with this > Vigor 130 3.8.1.2 alternative modem code 579f17 < and haven't seen a single drop since.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130

Try the alternative firmware , see if that helps , if not , a chat with your ISP is in order.

• moose56
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Oct 2017 10:01 #3 by moose56
Replied by moose56 on topic Re: Vigor 130 speed drop off
Thanks,

I am also on FTTC connection. I will give the other firmware a go and see how I get on.

More
06 Nov 2017 12:10 #4 by apotts
Replied by apotts on topic Re: Vigor 130 speed drop off
I tried the alternative firmware and it wouldn't even sync. TRAINING... FAIL.

Getting bored of trying to up my line speed after a line fault was resolved three months ago. Anyone with any good ideas?

Code:
Type ? for command help > vdsl status ---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) ----------- Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 43999000 bps US Actual Rate : 9951000 bps DS Attainable Rate : 50469128 bps US Attainable Rate : 9963000 bps DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast DS Interleave Depth : 1 US Interleave Depth : 1 NE Current Attenuation : 22 dB Cur SNR Margin : 9 dB DS actual PSD : 7. 6 dB US actual PSD : 12. 9 dB NE CRC Count : 0 FE CRC Count : 1231 NE ES Count : 0 FE ES Count : 1022 Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 1 ITU Version[0] : b5004946 ITU Version[1] : 544e0000 VDSL Firmware Version : 05-07-06-0D-01-07 [with Vectoring support] Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0 Test Mode : DISABLE -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 32 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB CO ITU Version[0] : b5004244 CO ITU Version[1] : 434da48c DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < BDCM >

More
06 Nov 2017 13:42 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 130 speed drop off
The only way I've found to get an increase in speed is to have the line reset by Openreach.

At least that's what I assume happened when I changed my broadband package with Zen a couple of years ago. I had been on an "up to 78" package but this had never achieved more than around 35 download and had dropped to about 22 by the time I got fed up and threatened to leave. They persuaded me to stay but switch to a nominally lower rate "fibre 1" package. As soon as this occurred my DS rate jumped to around 38.

Since then it has decreased in about 3 stages and is currently 30. I have NEVER seen it go up again once it has dropped. Other folk seem to think it does but it never has for me.

Your actual download vs attainable looks good to me!

I don't know why ISP's don't press OR to do this "line resetting" more frequently - they could increase their customer satisfaction figures at a stroke :lol:

More
06 Nov 2017 15:56 #6 by apotts
Replied by apotts on topic Re: Vigor 130 speed drop off
I used to sync at 48 or 50, then the line fault (crackling) caused the speed to gradually drop to 34. After it was fixed it went up to 44, but even after 3 months it will not go any higher. So it does go up, but it seems to have a very long term memory...

I have spoken to my ISP about this - and they would dearly love to be able to reset the connection. I have spoken to numerous OR engineers, who also would like to be able to do this, but can't because they are not "network" engineers (ie they are the ones who fix regular line faults but are not allowed to do fancy network stuff).

It's almost worth conjuring up a fake network fault, just so you can pay the £80 to get an engineer out to do the reset...