• modemmisery
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Mar 2018 18:47 #1 by modemmisery
Replacing a Vigor 120 with a Vigor 130? was created by modemmisery
Hello people,

I've been using a Vigor 120 (with Apple Airport Extreme, and the ISP Zen Internet) for some years with no problem. As the Vigor 120 is aging, I wanted a backup and so bought a Vigor 130, hoping it would "just work", but it does not seem to establish a DSL connection (ie the DSL light continues to flicker) no matter how long I wait. But, pop the Vigor 120 back in and all is well.

The documentation for the 130 implies that no configuration is needed for most UK ISPs, which I assume includes Zen Internet?

Can anyone hint at what I am missing, or perhaps tell me what settings the Vigor 130 should have, to behave like the Vigor 120?

Thank you for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2018 08:49 #2 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Replacing a Vigor 120 with a Vigor 130?
You could try logging into it, and setting the physical line type to ADSL rather than auto/vdsl/adsl.

I assume the airport is performing all the authentication, etc?

More
05 Mar 2018 09:26 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Replacing a Vigor 120 with a Vigor 130?
I use a 130 with Zen vdsl (set to auto) and it worked out of the box, although I have now changed the settings in order to access it directly (see other threads on this). The usual suspect is the VLAN tagging, is the Airport correctly set up?

• modemmisery
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2018 11:11 #4 by modemmisery
Replied by modemmisery on topic Re: Replacing a Vigor 120 with a Vigor 130?

mbames wrote: You could try logging into it, and setting the physical line type to ADSL rather than auto/vdsl/adsl.

I assume the airport is performing all the authentication, etc?

Thank you. Yes, tried setting it to ADSL only but to no avail. And yes, the Airport is doing the authentication. This all works flawlessly with old Vigor 120s (and indeed enable me to send this message :D ) However, when I swap in the 130 the DSL light just blinks forlornly at me and never goes constant.

Piste Basher wrote: I use a 130 with Zen vdsl (set to auto) and it worked out of the box, although I have now changed the settings in order to access it directly (see other threads on this). The usual suspect is the VLAN tagging, is the Airport correctly set up?

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm using Zen's most basic service, which I assume is ADSL rather than VDSL. I have tried setting the modem to ADSL only but to no avail. I will look for the other thread you suggest.

• nrb501
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2018 14:55 #5 by nrb501
Replied by nrb501 on topic Re: Replacing a Vigor 120 with a Vigor 130?
If, as you have stated, the modem is failing to sync there is a fundamental issue at work here, with the modem modulation mode set to "auto" it should sync.

Firstly, what are the line stats with the v120? (I assume you are able to communicate with the modem) it is possible if you are on a marginal line the v120 may be (just) able to sync but the v130 will not. If the line stats are reasonable then it suggests the modem may be faulty.
Try swapping the cable from the telephone socket to the modem as well.

TBH, if you have a marginal line and want the best speed possible then the v120/v130 may not be the best choice as Draytek's sync strategy seems conservative in these cases. (My ADSL connection is on the wrong end of a very long line from the exchange and I find a Netgear DM111P gives good sync speeds with the added ability to adjust the target snr.)

VPI/VCI should be set to 0/38, although if wrong I don't think that should stop the modem from syncing.

Draytek knowledgebase article 452 http://www.draytek.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=452 should give you all the settings you need.

More
05 Mar 2018 15:02 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Replacing a Vigor 120 with a Vigor 130?
If you have been using a 120 then it must be adsl. However there is no reason why the 130 shouldn't work - assuming that the Airport is set to use PPPoE and has the zen credentials in it. You have bought a UK spec 130? Some folk on here have acquired non-UK 130's which are somewhat different....