DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Replacing a Vigor 120 with a Vigor 130?

More
05 Mar 2018 16:52 #7 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Replacing a Vigor 120 with a Vigor 130?
The Vigor 130 should be quite compatible with ADSL lines and out of the box, it does work just like the Vigor 120 modem.

Can you check whether it's an Annex A or Annex B model of the Vigor 130? The UK uses Annex A for ADSL/VDSL.
The [Dashboard] of the modem (click on the DrayTek logo) shows the annex type:

Code:
DSL Version - 576D17_A/B/C HW: A

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• modemmisery
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2018 18:10 #8 by modemmisery
Replied by modemmisery on topic Re: Replacing a Vigor 120 with a Vigor 130?
Thanks so much for your reply.

nrb501 wrote: If, as you have stated, the modem is failing to sync there is a fundamental issue at work here, with the modem modulation mode set to "auto" it should sync.

Everything seems to suggest so!

nrb501 wrote: Firstly, what are the line stats with the v120? (I assume you are able to communicate with the modem) it is possible if you are on a marginal line the v120 may be (just) able to sync but the v130 will not. If the line stats are reasonable then it suggests the modem may be faulty.
Try swapping the cable from the telephone socket to the modem as well.

[TBH, if you have a marginal line and want the best speed possible then the v120/v130 may not be the best choice as Draytek's sync strategy seems conservative in these cases. (My ADSL connection is on the wrong end of a very long line from the exchange and I find a Netgear DM111P gives good sync speeds with the added ability to adjust the target snr.)

Well, it can take many minutes for the v120 to sync (I seem to recall that when I first set it up it was more like 10s of seconds) ... if that tells you anything.

Regarding stats, I can see these if I connect my Mac directly to the 120 and raise the connect there. I see "SNR Margin" is 12 ... does that tell you anything?

I have tried swapping the phone cables. Both work with the 120 (so I assume there is no problem there)

It would not surprise me if the problem were due to a poor line. Difficult to demonstrate though, as the response from Zen has been (it's your filtering, wifi, have you tried the "test socket" ... yada yada). ie deflect it anyway than look into the problem :evil:

nrb501 wrote: VPI/VCI should be set to 0/38, although if wrong I don't think that should stop the modem from syncing.

That is indeed how they are set.

nrb501 wrote: Draytek knowledgebase article 452 http://www.draytek.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=452 should give you all the settings you need.

I've already found that, but thanks and thanks again for your help!

• modemmisery
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2018 18:15 #9 by modemmisery

Piste Basher wrote: If you have been using a 120 then it must be adsl. However there is no reason why the 130 shouldn't work - assuming that the Airport is set to use PPPoE and has the zen credentials in it. You have bought a UK spec 130? Some folk on here have acquired non-UK 130's which are somewhat different....

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it seems it should work!

The Airport is indeed set to PPPoE and works find with either of my v120s.

I'm fairly certain the v130 is UK spec. Bought (new) from Amazon.UK and it comes with firmware 3.8.1.2_BT, which I understand is optimised for the UK.

• modemmisery
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2018 18:21 #10 by modemmisery

admin3 wrote: The Vigor 130 should be quite compatible with ADSL lines and out of the box, it does work just like the Vigor 120 modem.

Can you check whether it's an Annex A or Annex B model of the Vigor 130? The UK uses Annex A for ADSL/VDSL.
The [Dashboard] of the modem (click on the DrayTek logo) shows the annex type:

Code:
DSL Version - 576D17_A/B/C HW: A

Yes - it's as you have shown. Bottom line of the upper table reads: DSL Version 576D17_A/B/C HW:A

Thank you for your help.

• nrb501
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2018 18:35 #11 by nrb501
Replied by nrb501 on topic Re: Replacing a Vigor 120 with a Vigor 130?
A snr of 12dB would indicate that BT's line management system has increased this from the default of 6dB due to it registering large numbers of errors or line drops.

The figures for downstream attenuation and linespeed will give an indication to the quality of the line.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html should give you an idea of what speed to expect from the line.

Try the alternate firmware from the uk support page or the 3.8.1.2_STD firmware from the .com website. The x_BT firmware is only really optimised for VDSL lines. I've found on both a 2860 and 2760 that on an ADSL (as opposed to VDSL) line the STD firmware gives better sync speeds.

If none of this works, have you got a friend on whose line you could try the modem to see if it syncs - if it doesn't then its a sure bet the modem is faulty.

Regards your dealings with Zen, I know its frustrating going through their faultfinding scripts but sometimes it can be worthwhile as you may find an existing problem.

• modemmisery
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2018 19:34 #12 by modemmisery

nrb501 wrote: A snr of 12dB would indicate that BT's line management system has increased this from the default of 6dB due to it registering large numbers of errors or line drops.

The figures for downstream attenuation and linespeed will give an indication to the quality of the line.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html should give you an idea of what speed to expect from the line..

That's really interesting, thank you. I will follow that up.

nrb501 wrote: Try the alternate firmware from the uk support page or the 3.8.1.2_STD firmware from the .com website. The x_BT firmware is only really optimised for VDSL lines. I've found on both a 2860 and 2760 that on an ADSL (as opposed to VDSL) line the STD firmware gives better sync speeds.

I had seen that, and wondered if it was worth a shot...

nrb501 wrote: If none of this works, have you got a friend on whose line you could try the modem to see if it syncs - if it doesn't then its a sure bet the modem is faulty.

Good one. I'll see what I can do.

That was all really helpful -- thank you so much.

nrb501 wrote: Regards your dealings with Zen, I know its frustrating going through their faultfinding scripts but sometimes it can be worthwhile as you may find an existing problem.

This is getting off-topic, but I feel I must add it for background: I chose Zen (and pay over the odds for it) as I thought I would get a level of support that would avoid the initial nonsense. However, recently, for example, when trying to track down intermittent broadband outages I set a script repeatedly running traceroute from a host outside my network to my home static ip address. I noticed that when some of the outages occurred the traceroute failed within Zen's network (two stops away from me), and when the connection returns, the route has changed. Although this outage was demonstrably due to issues outside my network my point was dismissed and ... yes, you probably have guessed what Zen's initial response was. *sigh*