DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862n can't access to https://forum.draytek.co.uk - why?

More
07 Jun 2018 13:04 #13 by x64

dottedquad wrote:

x64 wrote:

dottedquad wrote: Update: I have now updated to the latest firmware for the 2862n (3882_BT) and firefox still gets stuck trying to connect to the draytek forums displaying in its status bar the message "Performing a TLS handshake to forum.draytek.co.uk".

Martin

That sounds sickeningly familiar. If you are on WiFi (particularly thinking 5GHz), try using wired, or trying 2.4GHz.

Perhaps I wasn't clear? My PC is connected by wired ethernet to my 2820n and 2862n - they get internet access by a wifi ISP. Why should the use of a Wifi hop to the internet backbone affect the 2862n but not the 2820n?

Martin

I was referring to the client side (I didn’t see a reference to your client-side media)

I was referring to a wifi issue that initially looked like TLS negotiation issues. Still unexplained.

My comment wouldn’t be relevant to the WAN connection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2018 13:07 #14 by akwe-xavante
Not entirely sure what is meant by "access by a wifi ISP"

What have you connected the WAN2 port too? A mobile broadband connection?

A WiFi access point that is connected to some other wireless access point before connecting to a router somewhere and then down a phone line?

More
07 Jun 2018 13:27 #15 by akwe-xavante
Why should the use of a Wifi hop to the internet backbone affect the 2862n but not the 2820n?

Firmware and hardware incompatiblity issues, the way that devices comunicate with each other must be compatible.

Two Cold Fusion Scientists, world leading experts. One's French and only speaks French. The others Japanese and only speaks Japanese. Put them together in the same room to talk about Cold Fusion Technology and they won't get very far and yet they are the best at what they do.

Not saying that this is your problem though.

You do seem to have a very much NON STD setup though which may or may not be causing an issue.

If it were me i would find a friend to help and take the router to the friends house and set it up on there line in a conventional way and try it.

• dottedquad
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jun 2018 14:12 #16 by dottedquad

akwe-xavante wrote: Not entirely sure what is meant by "access by a wifi ISP"

What have you connected the WAN2 port too? A mobile broadband connection?

A WiFi access point that is connected to some other wireless access point before connecting to a router somewhere and then down a phone line?

Not exactly. The WAN2 port (on my 2820n and 2862n) connects via a PoE ethernet cable to a CountyBroadband Ubiquiti aerial (mounted on my chimney) which points to a CountyBroadband transceiver mounted on the local church tower - and thence by microwave links to the ISP's kit. It works. I doubt it's the cause of this problem!

Martin

• prushmere
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jun 2018 14:54 #17 by prushmere

dottedquad wrote:
Not exactly. The WAN2 port (on my 2820n and 2862n) connects via a PoE ethernet cable to a CountyBroadband Ubiquiti aerial (mounted on my chimney) which points to a CountyBroadband transceiver mounted on the local church tower - and thence by microwave links to the ISP's kit. It works. I doubt it's the cause of this problem!

Martin

Although I'm not having the issue you're seeing, I just thought I'd chime in to say that I also doubt the WAN setup is the problem. I have an almost identical setup here except that my router is a 2925ac.

On that note, I can't say enough good things about the people that set these rural wireless schemes up - I went from a pitiful half meg on copper (on a good day!) to a symmetric 30 meg connection. Top job!

More
07 Jun 2018 15:43 #18 by akwe-xavante
So you are using an Ethernet cable on WAN2 to connect to a PoE injector / adaptor which then connects to a radio transceiver on the roof.
A seriously silly suggestion and I’m sure you have tried already, when you change over the routers do you switch off the PoE device too?

Sometimes the silliest of things can make a huge difference. Not expecting it to make a difference.

If you have a look at the specs for the WAN ports for the two routers they are very different animals which are probably using very different chipsets within the routers. Is the Ethernet and the PoE cable CAT5e? Are you using the original PoE adaptor and is it possible to ask Country Broadband to update the firmware on the antenna / transceiver?

My monies on an incompatibility issue with the WAN port with the rest of the kit that you have.