DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

draytek 3900 firmware 1.4 crashing with vpn

• jonplace
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jun 2018 13:28 #1 by jonplace
We have 3 x draytek 3900 units at 3 offices with 100mb leased lines to each site. Each site has over 100 users. Both the remote offices have IPSEC VPN tunnels into the head office.
Since we upgraded all our firewalls to firmware 1.4 (this week) the fw at the head office reboots itself every 5 minutes with the the VPNS enabled. If we disable the VPN tunnels it works fine. Therefore we have rolled back the firmware to 1.3.3.2 on all firewalls and (touch wood) all appears stable again. I have raised this with draytek support. I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Also be careful if you are thinking of upgrading..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2018 15:08 #2 by beavers8
Hi,

Did you ever get to the bottom of why the 1.4 upgrade caused everything to drop out?
I just installed the update on our 3900 and had the same issues..... every 5 -10 mins kept getting drop outs.. internet was unusable!

Had to install 1.3.3.2 again everything now works fine....

Thanks

More
09 Jul 2018 16:47 #3 by g6ifs
We had the same problem with our 2960 when we updated to 1.4, but we found that the reboots seem to be being caused by internet traffic level, worked ok with low level traffic but immediately started rebooting when the internet traffic level increased.
Don't think it is VPN as we have them all switched off at the moment.
The problem disappeared when switching back to the previous version !

Adding this as the 2960 and 3900 interface seem to be based on each other and it seems significant that the same issue starts with the same version numbers, ie 1.4
We are keeping our 3900 on 1.3.3.2 until it has been sorted out as I can't risk a production system going down for something like this.

• craigthompson
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jul 2018 18:53 #4 by craigthompson
Replied by craigthompson on topic Re: draytek 3900 firmware 1.4 crashing with vpn
I've just done a 1.4 upgrade on a 3900 (Our internal one) as I'm getting disconnected sessions everytime I do a simple firewall rule update or change. Low and behold the all 3 WAN's disconnected after less than 5 minutes. We do have VPN's running however I don't think that's the root cause. I've had to go to the office (No chance of doing it remotely) to downgrade back to 1.3.3.2 so all our web facing systems work again.

We have bought Draytek routers and switches for over 7 years and they seem fine when you don't touch them, do an upgrade and they cause issues like this. They're supposed to be "Professional Router/Firewall" but I've had more reliability from Netgear kit which is saying something. I'd advise anyone with a 3900/2960 to avoid 1.4 at all costs.

More
10 Jul 2018 10:24 #5 by admin3
DrayTek have had reports of VPN stability problems with the 1.4.0 release firmware and have produced a fix for this which will be included in the next release firmware.

The pre-release beta versions with the fix included are located here:
Vigor 2960: https://www.draytek.co.uk/download/support/files/V2960_140_r7772.zip
Vigor 3900: https://www.draytek.co.uk/download/support/files/V3900_140_r7772.zip

If you're still seeing issues with IPsec, please contact the support team for assistance.

Forum Administrator

More
11 Jul 2018 08:31 #6 by beavers8
Hi,

Just another quick one!
Draytek now seems to auto update to the 1.4 firmware every morning, May sound like a stupid question but how and where do I go to turn these feature off? Do I have to keep rolling back?

Thanks