DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

draytek 3900 firmware 1.4 crashing with vpn

• craigthompson
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jul 2018 08:46 #7 by craigthompson
Replied by craigthompson on topic Re: draytek 3900 firmware 1.4 crashing with vpn
I've just found out EXACTLY the same issue which killed my network...again.

Luckily I have a spare 3900 which has never seen 1.4 thankfully so I'm hoping restoring the config will stop that. I can't see anywhere in the config to disable auto updating.

Also the Beta 1.4.1 doesn't do anything. Internet still drops after less than 5 mins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2018 11:27 #8 by admin3

beavers8 wrote: Hi,

Just another quick one!
Draytek now seems to auto update to the 1.4 firmware every morning, May sound like a stupid question but how and where do I go to turn these feature off? Do I have to keep rolling back?

Thanks

This is the Auto Firmware Upgrade function, which is handling the router's configuration incorrectly after upgrading to 1.4.0 and downgrading to 1.3.3.2, here's the setting you need to change:

On 1.4.0 firmware:

1. Go to [System Maintenance] > [Firmware Upgrade] > [Auto Firmware Upgrade] tab

2. Set the Mode to "Manual Upgrade" and click OK

On 1.3.3.2 firmware:
[list=2]
  • [*]Go to [System Maintenance] > [Firmware Upgrade] > [Auto Firmware Upgrade] tab

• [*]Untick the "Notify me when new firmware is available" option and click OK
  • [/list]

With that setting changed, the router will then stay on 1.3.3.2 firmware until upgraded manually.

CraigThompson wrote: I've just found out EXACTLY the same issue which killed my network...again.

Luckily I have a spare 3900 which has never seen 1.4 thankfully so I'm hoping restoring the config will stop that. I can't see anywhere in the config to disable auto updating.

Also the Beta 1.4.1 doesn't do anything. Internet still drops after less than 5 mins.

I'm sorry that the new firmware is causing such problems for you and the beta firmware hasn't helped. Could you possibly contact support with Syslog from the router from when the problem you're describing occurs with 1.4.0 / 1.4.1 firmware? I think that's the quickest way to get the problem solved (instead of sending config etc), because it's highly likely the problem you're seeing is specific to your network / some events.

Forum Administrator

• craigthompson
    • User
    • User
    More
    11 Jul 2018 11:40 #9 by craigthompson
    Replied by craigthompson on topic Re: draytek 3900 firmware 1.4 crashing with vpn
    Easier said than done on a production network but I'll see what I can do.

Just FYI, my Auto Firmware Upgrade was already un-ticked the only option I noticed which was set to "Auto upgrade when new patch is available" under Auto Firmware Patch which I've changed to Manual Upgrade.

• ccarmock
    • User
    • User
    More
    12 Jul 2018 20:54 #10 by ccarmock
    I had been experiencing a problem connecting to a 2960 running 1.40 from the Draytek SmartVPN client.
    After updating to this beta version this issue has been resolved.

• thetechfactory
    • User
    • User
    More
    22 Jul 2018 09:19 #11 by thetechfactory
    Replied by thetechfactory on topic Re: draytek 3900 firmware 1.4 crashing with vpn
    Glad to see i am not the only person having the issue.

Are we thinking downgrading the firmware will help?

• wga
    • User
    • User
    More
    06 Sep 2018 13:13 #12 by wga
    Hi all,

We too have been experiencing this issue with the 1.4.0 firmware, Draytek support requested the router logs which we sent but they eventually came back and said the logs weren't actually any help!

We downgraded a few weeks ago to firmware 1.3.3.2 and the router has been stable ever since.

Draytek support have just contacted me to suggest I install the Beta version of Firmware 1.4.1 RC2 which I'm reluctant to do, not least as it's still in Beta.

Just wondered if anyone else with this rebooting issue has installed the RC2 Firmware and whether you've had any issues with it?

Thanks