2860ac - Connecting & activating 2nd ADSL to WAN2 problem

• rjsdavis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Dec 2018 21:09 #1 by rjsdavis
Hello to all

I apologise in advance if this has been covered before, but I did search for various search terms, but they all came up blank telling me my search terms were too common and had been ignored!

I'm a new user to the DrayTek family, and have just acquired a Vigor2860ac as my home modem/router for the family network. We have both high speed VDSL and a secondary ADSL (on a second line) broadband connections, and my primary reason for getting the 2860ac, was to connect the two broadband lines simultaneously for load balancing / increased overall bandwidth speeds for the network.

The main VDSL line is connected and working just fine - the wizard connected me instantly and it's stable. The DB WiFi all works fine. My only trouble is getting the router to connect to/recognise the secondary ADSL line.

I'm aware that I needed a separate router to facilitate this, and I'm using a BT Openreach modem that I had spare from my current VDSL provider. The secondary ADSL line cable is connected into the BT modem, and the LAN cable is connected from the modem into the WAN2 port. I have tried access the WAN2 settings from the admin dashboard, and then clicking onto the WAN2 image from the main display map, and it goes into the settings, but I'm not exactly clear on what settings I need to use to make the secondary line work, and be recognised, by the 2860 unit?

Is there anyone out there that would be kind enough to walk me through the steps I need to take to activate it, or to correctly set the 2860 to recognise and start to use it?

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2018 15:02 #2 by piste basher
If you are using the Openreach modem don't you just set WAN2 physical mode to Ethernet, then in Internet Access enable PPPoE and put your adsl username and password in the form? Oh, and in General Setup put in your VLAN tag if you need one (so long since I had adsl that I can't remember if it had one or not :oops: )

• nrb501
  • User
  • User
More
30 Dec 2018 11:56 #3 by nrb501
Firstly, unless both lines are with the same ISP and the ISP supports line bonding then you will not be able to achieve what you wish, you will however be able to set the ADSL line as a fall-back to the VDSL line. If you do have both lines with the same ISP and they support bonding, then it should work but will require some configuration of your account settings to make it happen.

For it to work, as stated you need a modem to connect the ADSL line to WAN2. Either something like the Vigor 120v2 or 130 modems, or if you have a BT modem then set it to bridge mode and use that.
Another thing to be aware of is that unless you are using one of the Draytek modems on WAN2 it will be difficult to get the line stats from the ADSL modem.

• nrb501
  • User
  • User
More
30 Dec 2018 12:14 #4 by nrb501
The settings you need on the Draytek are:
WAN>General>WAN2 - set physical mode = Ethernet, Active mode = Always on
Do not select “Load Balance” at this time (IIRC it only works on upstream anyway)
WAN>Internet Access>WAN2>Details - enable PPPoE and input your user name and password. Disable Static/Dynamic IP and PPTP/L2TP.

For setting the BT router to bridge mode to act as a modem hopefully a Google search should help.

More
30 Dec 2018 14:50 #5 by piste basher
I didn't read the OP as wanting line bonding, just load balancing. Session based load balancing seems to work on both up and down for me.

Also says he is using an Openreach modem which should just work out of the box - and unless hacked wouldn't be accessible anyway :?:

• rjsdavis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jan 2019 20:36 #6 by rjsdavis
Hello there

Thank you very much pistebasher and nrb501 for replying - much appreciated! I appear to have forgotten to have ticked the "notify me when someone replies", so I didn't think anyone had come back to me! Many apols for going so quiet on this when you've taken the trouble to reply.

Ok - I've made a change the set-up, as I figured trying to get this to work with the BT Openreach modem might be too tricky, particularly as I couldn't tell if it had preset settings in any event, so I got a Vigor 120 modem (which is now here) to theoretically make this all easier to set-up.

So - the VDSL line continues to work fine. With the Vigor 120 modem on, the ADSL line is clearly there, but the DSL light on the modem just flashes rapidly. I have entered the provided login & password from the ISP, but I suspect that I still have some settings set incorrectly, as it's not working yet.

I must admit, I'm not interested in either load balancing or line bonding per se - I simply thought, I've got a second ADSL line.. why not connect it up to the Vigor and get additional overall bandwidth for the network? It was no more complex a thought than that. It was the only reason I bought the Vigor 2860ac!