• rjsdavis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jan 2019 20:39 #7 by rjsdavis

nrb501 wrote: The settings you need on the Draytek are:
WAN>General>WAN2 - set physical mode = Ethernet, Active mode = Always on
Do not select “Load Balance” at this time (IIRC it only works on upstream anyway)
WAN>Internet Access>WAN2>Details - enable PPPoE and input your user name and password. Disable Static/Dynamic IP and PPTP/L2TP.

Thank you nrb501 - all of these settings were already as you direct in your post, with the exception of the load balancing box, which was ticked, but has now been unticked. Sadly, it didn't make it work.

On the Vigor120:

POWER - is on and steady
ACT - blinking slowly
LAN - is on and steady
DSL - is blinking rapidly
INTERNET - is off

It's as if the login/password credentials provided by the ADSL ISP are incorrect, as I've been pouring over this for weeks and I can't see anything obviously wrong in any of the settings to stop this from connecting and working!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjsdavis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jan 2019 20:43 #8 by rjsdavis

Piste Basher wrote: If you are using the Openreach modem don't you just set WAN2 physical mode to Ethernet, then in Internet Access enable PPPoE and put your adsl username and password in the form? Oh, and in General Setup put in your VLAN tag if you need one (so long since I had adsl that I can't remember if it had one or not :oops: )

Thank you also for your posts too - sorry for the very long delay in responding, I simply didn't think that anyone had responded, and I've just tapped out a mahoosive support email to Draytek to try and get to the bottom of it!

As mentioned in my post two above - I've now binned the BT modem and put in a Vigor120, as I had hoped that this would make it much easier to make it actually work?! No joy yet though.. :-(

More
20 Jan 2019 09:45 #9 by piste basher
If the dsl light is just blinking that definitely sounds like a username/password/login issue to me. Don't see where you're going wrong though. Have you tried connecting the 120 directly to a PC and setting up a PPPoE connection on the PC? That should at least tell you if your login credentials are being accepted.

• rjsdavis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2019 16:55 #10 by rjsdavis

Piste Basher wrote: If the dsl light is just blinking that definitely sounds like a username/password/login issue to me. Don't see where you're going wrong though. Have you tried connecting the 120 directly to a PC and setting up a PPPoE connection on the PC? That should at least tell you if your login credentials are being accepted.

Hello PB

I hadn't, but I've just tried doing that now. Spent some time trying to work out why there were no means to offer up any log-in credentials at all... It had fairly old firmware installed dating back from 2014, so downloaded and installed the latest 2018 firmware, so it's now running 3.7.2.

The access screens were a little different after the reboot, but the only place where I can see that I can insert any login credentials are in the MPoA screen, which is a submenu of Internet Access - however, I'm not sure if the rest of the settings on this screen are actually correct? Reason being: with login/password, there's still no connection. I can't find a way to upload any screenshots into this forum as far as I can see, as a pic tells a thousand words, so here goes:

PPPoE/PPPoA Mode:

Disabled

MPoA Mode:

DSL Modem Settings:
Encapsulation: 1483 Bridged IP (IPoE)
VPI: 0
VCI: 101
Modulation: Multimode

WAN Connection Detection:
Mode: Always On
PING IP: Greyed Out
TTL: (Nothing/Blank)

Bridge Mode: Enable Bridge Mode [ticked]

Vlan Tag Insertion: [unticked - Value = 0]

DHCP Client Identifier for some ISP

Username & Password: Completed

MAC Address Setting:
Default MAC Address [ticked]

ONLINE STATUS SCREEN

Primary DNS: 194.109.9.66 [Green]
Secondary DNS: 168.95.1.1 [Green]
IP Address: 192.168.2.1 [Green]
TX Packets: 567 [Green]
RX Packets: 671 [Green]

ADSL Information:

All blank in Red

More
20 Jan 2019 17:47 #11 by piste basher
OK apologies if I haven't understood (not having a 120 but I do have a 130, so I'm just reading from the user manual) but as I understand it the 120 is like the 130 in respect of being "ready to go" out of the box for most UK ISPs.

If you've connected it directly to a PC (no router involvement) then all of the settings are done in the PC - e.g. in Windows (10) - Control Panel - Set up a new connection or network - Connect to the Internet - Connect using Broadband (PPPoE) - enter your credentials and there you go - if the 120 has been set to factory default it should then connect.

There should be no need to adjust any settings within the 120 itself - just like the old Openreach modem in that respect.

But really, you shouldn't need to faff about with a direct PC connection, it should work in just the same way if you fill in your credentials in the WAN2 PPPoE settings in the router.

• rjsdavis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2019 19:06 #12 by rjsdavis

Piste Basher wrote: OK apologies if I haven't understood (not having a 120 but I do have a 130, so I'm just reading from the user manual) but as I understand it the 120 is like the 130 in respect of being "ready to go" out of the box for most UK ISPs.

If you've connected it directly to a PC (no router involvement) then all of the settings are done in the PC - e.g. in Windows (10) - Control Panel - Set up a new connection or network - Connect to the Internet - Connect using Broadband (PPPoE) - enter your credentials and there you go - if the 120 has been set to factory default it should then connect.

There should be no need to adjust any settings within the 120 itself - just like the old Openreach modem in that respect.

But really, you shouldn't need to faff about with a direct PC connection, it should work in just the same way if you fill in your credentials in the WAN2 PPPoE settings in the router.

Thanks once again - I've never used Network Settings within Windows to create an internet connection since dial-up! It's always been done in the modem/router afaicr!

Anyway - tried it, and it didn't work either. Yes, the Vigor 120 was connected directly to the computer. It just sat there at the "Connecting to the internet via the WAN miniport" forever and doing nothing. I'm going to get another ADSL modem/router just to check the line out and make sure it's working properly first - as something's not quite right here!