Intermittent Packet Loss to internal interface on New 2862ac

• heavencore
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Feb 2019 11:51 #1 by heavencore
Hi there,

We just purchased and installed a 2862ac for a small buisness (20 clients, 1 core switch (netgear 24 port), & only 1 WAN interface configured on the DrayTek (WAN2).

We're seeing 5% packet loss (very intermittent) to the internal / management interface (and in-turn to WAN destinations).

the other 95% of packets are fine with <1ms response times to internal.

Things we've tried so far:

1. Reboots - this works, but after a few minutes, the intermittent packet loss starts again.

2. Replaced patch cables - no effect

3. Disabled wifi - no effect

4. Disabled WAN2 - no effect

5. Removed from network completely and plugged straight in to a desktop to rule out their core switch - no effect (which makes sense as we're not seeing any packet loss to the other devices on core switch)

6. Applied the latest firmware (3.9.0)

7. Factory reset / config restore

I've installed 100's of DrayTeks over the years and never seen this before, could this be a firmware issue?

Is there any diagnostic tools i can use / what should be my next steps? CPU on DrayTek is sitting around 5% with memory at 55% so i dont think it's a load issue.

Cheers.

J.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• simonsaysboo
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jan 2020 08:35 #2 by simonsaysboo
I'm seeing a very similar (sounding) issue to this on my 2862Ln. Intermittant high packet loss (as reported by Speedtest.net) over 5% - 40%. Only cured by either rebooting or replugging LAN from P1. I'm nit a network expert but this suggests some sort of DHCP issue, perhaps?

I'm running LTE > 2862Ln > Linksys Velop Master Node (Bridge) > switch > [4 more bridged Velop nodes, couple more nested switches, ~30 LAN and WLAN clients]

Did this request spur any solutions, before I submit a ticket?

More
10 Jan 2020 02:49 #3 by gracecourt

I'm seeing a very similar (sounding) issue to this on my 2862Ln. Intermittant high packet loss (as reported by Speedtest.net) over 5% - 40%.

Strangely enough, after fault-free operation for a year, my 2862ac has developed an identical fault... I was alerted to this because my ISP is Andrews and Arnold who provide active monitoring and polling of the broadband circuit, including packet loss and latency, using Firebricks:

A PingPlotter trace from the LAN to the router shows a weird regular pattern, with short bursts of >1000ms latency alternating with circa 700-800ms latency every 10 seconds.

Power cycling, rolling back to a previous fault-free firmware and upgrading back to current firmware (using .rst file each time) makes no difference. It started around 22h00 on Wednesday and must be a hardware fault of some sort... ticket to be opened in the morning.

• simonsaysboo
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jan 2020 17:52 #4 by simonsaysboo
Thanks for sharing that.. i’ll open a ticket, too but would you mind sharing what comes back to you from Draytek here?

Cheers, Simon

More
06 Apr 2020 23:08 #5 by gracecourt

SimonSaysBoo wrote:
Thanks for sharing that.. i’ll open a ticket, too but would you mind sharing what comes back to you from Draytek here?

Sorry Simon, I completely forgot to do so, but the answer from Draytek was a request to RMA it for a hardware fault. They returned it promptly in a fully-working condition, but the reason I've remembered to reply to you is that unfortunately the same fault recurred on Tuesday 31 March and has been constant since - I'm requesting another RMA. Same packet loss, I was alerted because of poor VOIP quality and on checking the Andrews and Arnold monitoring of the WAN connection (I can't praise their services too highly even though it is of course a more expensive one... it's aimed at business users but not exclusively so) I found the now-familiar results shown in my original post above.

More
21 Apr 2020 21:14 #6 by gracecourt

gracecourt wrote:
... unfortunately the same fault recurred on Tuesday 31 March and has been constant since - I'm requesting another RMA. Same packet loss, I was alerted because of poor VOIP quality and on checking the Andrews and Arnold monitoring of the WAN connection I found the now-familiar results shown in my original post above.

Update: Two weeks after the original RMA request, Draytek Support still haven't issued an RMA and they've responded to my urgent chase-up by admitting that they don't actually understand what the fault is... it seems that no-one has looked at this post or at the Firebrick monitoring data uploaded with the RMA request! :?
Worse, as they seemed convinced that this issue must be caused by a corrupted configuration(??), I asked about how they resolved the first RMA in January, and they responded by stating that they replaced the entire router PCB - so, as the same fault has recurred within two months, there is credible evidence to suggest that this is a design fault of the Vigor 2862ac, poor build quality, or both... this is not what is expected from an allegedly semi-professional router retailing at £270.
After having bought more than twenty Draytek routers for various installations over the past fifteen years or so, it looks as though it's now time to move on to something more reliable.