DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Intermittent Packet Loss to internal interface on New 2862ac

More
28 Apr 2020 13:03 #19 by admin
Two units (or 3) ended up, after a period of months of dropping packets when pinging the LAN interface?
This really isn't a problem I've come across so for it to happen twice to one person is the puzzling bit.
I wonder if the router was actually rebooting each time due to something in the config upsetting it (which it shouldn't).
Did you check the uptime ever?

Also, you said you've requested another RMA - did you get that now and send it back so they have the failed unit ?

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2020 13:35 #20 by gracecourt

admin wrote:
Two units (or 3) ended up, after a period of months of dropping packets when pinging the LAN interface?
This really isn't a problem I've come across so for it to happen twice to one person is the puzzling bit.
I wonder if the router was actually rebooting each time due to something in the config upsetting it (which it shouldn't).
Did you check the uptime ever?

Yes, the first failure caused constant power-cycling, the second and third failures didn't cause either power cycling or rebooting. The LAN interface wasn't checked on the third failure because there was no point - as already stated, the Firebrick monitoring showed the (constant) abnormal WAN packet loss and massive latency, and given the previous failure it was enough to request an(other) RMA from Bonus Limited.

admin wrote: Also, you said you've requested another RMA - did you get that now and send it back so they have the failed unit ?

No - after two weeks of silence and advising the seller that the router has now been rejected under S.24(5) CRA 2015, an RMA was sent, but obviously too late. I'm waiting at the moment for the seller to decide whether or not to make a refund, but obviously if they don't, it will go to the County Court for resolution. The Act provides, in S.58(5), a power for the Court to order that any reimbursement to the consumer is reduced by a deduction for use, to take account of the use the consumer has had of the goods in the period since they were delivered.

More
28 Apr 2020 16:34 #21 by admin
Well, that's a shame (whilst I understand your frustration) as I'd really like to know what up with it.

So, if you sent it to me (I'm not actually offering), I could take the router, plug it into a laptop, ping it and I'd see dropped packets?

Also, whether they or don't offer a refund (your supplier) it's likely to take some time either way so why not take up the RMA anyway - as you have no contractual basis with the service centre, it shouldn't compromise your other demands (but you could make that clear to both parties just to be sure) - but I can't see them refusing.

What's the router normally connected to; is it possibly some switch which is off-voltage and upsetting the router after a few months?

[ edit ]

Actually, you said it was already RMA'd and presumably they didn't find any fault or couldn't reproduce any fault so probably wouldn't be different next time (you see their difficulty!). After lockdown, I'd make an appointment to demo it to them but not practical if you're 400 miles away (and I don't know if they do that anyway).

Forum Administrator

More
28 Apr 2020 18:55 #22 by gracecourt

admin wrote:
Well, that's a shame (whilst I understand your frustration) as I'd really like to know what up with it.

So, if you sent it to me (I'm not actually offering), I could take the router, plug it into a laptop, ping it and I'd see dropped packets?

Also, whether they or don't offer a refund (your supplier) it's likely to take some time either way so why not take up the RMA anyway - as you have no contractual basis with the service centre, it shouldn't compromise your other demands (but you could make that clear to both parties just to be sure) - but I can't see them refusing.

What's the router normally connected to; is it possibly some switch which is off-voltage and upsetting the router after a few months?

[ edit ]

Actually, you said it was already RMA'd and presumably they didn't find any fault or couldn't reproduce any fault so probably wouldn't be different next time (you see their difficulty!). After lockdown, I'd make an appointment to demo it to them but not practical if you're 400 miles away (and I don't know if they do that anyway).

I'm happy to PM you the details when it's resolved either way and you could make an offer to the dealer or to Bonus Limited to examine the router... but as all they needed to do was to connect it to ADSL/VDSL and watch the traffic on the WAN, they'd be able to see the fault themselves. I can't accept the RMA and claim the refund at the same time, remember that Bonus Ltd will be joint defendants to the claim.

That's the real problem here... it was commercially easier and cheaper to restore it to working order by swapping out the main PCB during the first RMA than it was to find out what the underlying problem(s) is/was.

More
28 Apr 2020 19:30 #23 by admin
I thought you said the problem was on the LAN side too, which is much easier to reproduce but as per my edit, I'm sure they would have put it online and checked for lost packets so I doubt I'd be any more successful (I can't actually do this anyway as I don't want to get in the middle and it's beyond my remit anyway).

it was commercially easier and cheaper to restore it to working order by swapping out the main PCB during the first RMA than it was to find out what the underlying problem(s) is/was.

I think it's highly unlikely that original unit wasn't tested - even if they replaced it just to be 'sure' they would have tested the original.

Have you tried the 'failed' unit on someone else's line?

Forum Administrator

More
28 Apr 2020 20:03 #24 by gracecourt

admin wrote:
I thought you said the problem was on the LAN side too...

It was when the second failure occurred, but as per my last posting, I didn't (need to) test the LAN to request an RMA because of the evidence of packet loss and abnormal latency again on the WAN.

admin wrote:
I'm sure they would have put it online and checked for lost packets...

One would hope so, but one might also have hoped that they'd read all of the RMA requests that they receive - but apparently they didn't... :-(

admin wrote:
I think it's highly unlikely that original unit wasn't tested - even if they replaced it just to be 'sure' they would have tested the original.

Like I just said, one would hope so, but that doesn't explain why the RMA wasn't approved this time round, while for two weeks they were "testing"(?) the configuration file that I sent at their request...

admin wrote:
Have you tried the 'failed' unit on someone else's line?

No. I need one that works on my line, and as this one did so faultlessly up until 14h20 on 31 March, and all other routers (including the one that's connected to it right now) have done so without too much trouble over the last 20-odd years...