DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Crashing 2862AC

• madexmatt
  • Topic Author
More
01 Mar 2020 10:10 #19 by madexmatt
Replied by madexmatt on topic Re: Crashing 2862AC
My fix was to get a 2960, 130 modem and AP 903.

They never fixed my 2962 that is brand new in box.

Btw, even logging to usb won’t work as it crashes at kernel level.

I noticed it crashed at high WiFi usage or a high throughput in WAN.

Not happy considering the price and tech supports usual stuff even though I gave a higher fault diagnosis...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2020 17:41 #20 by peter-h
Replied by peter-h on topic Re: Crashing 2862AC
I've been doing hardware and software since about 1980 and if I was making a box which occassionally crashed I would send somebody (a tame customer who communicates nicely) a firmware build which logs a lot more stuff to say USB, and that would get a result pretty quickly.

This is really easy to do and the only reason I can think of for not doing it is that it happens too often for them to want to do it!

I had a ream of syslog stuff (in the Draytek syslog executable under win7, so not lost when the router bombed) but obviously I could not make any sense of it.

• madexmatt
  • Topic Author
More
01 Mar 2020 19:14 #21 by madexmatt
If it crashes at a kernel level you won't get your syslog info.

Only directly connected via some kind of management on the board you'll see the output / dump.

But yeah, I've created the forum post so its made publicly aware, my new router (even replaced by them) is not fit for purpose.

• flash2
  • User
  • User
More
02 Mar 2020 09:20 #22 by flash2
Replied by flash2 on topic Re: Crashing 2862AC
So no one is using Asus, Netgear or TP-link routers as a comparison?

Its disappointing to hear that, as someone who is actually looking to choose a drayek for an upgrade, there appears, on the face of it, to be no reliable model.

If I had issues on the 2862, I would definately try bypassing the built in modem, as that caused me issues on another model. I wonder if the terrible wifi on the 2860/2820 has improved on this model or the 29 series also.

Are the Lunix based models equally as unreliable I wonder - i.e. its this a DrayOS issue, or a hardware one.

More
02 Mar 2020 17:30 #23 by peter-h
Replied by peter-h on topic Re: Crashing 2862AC
The 2960 is a linux box. So far it has crashed only once, 2 days ago, but I had to drive to the site because it was basically dead. If it happens again I will swap it for another 2960 and monitor that.

Today we installed some remote checking on the sites, with notifications delivered by telegram (healthchecks.io) so we detect this situation early.

Time will tell...

The 2955 was pretty solid but had numerous bugs, which we lived with but eventually it was a problem.

From experience of using the other brands, I would not expect them to be any better, especially TP-Link some of which are IME so buggy it's a joke. I know this is a broad statement but I have never seen a product which contained Chinese-written software which was any good. They just don't seem to have the culture to get stuff done and debugged diligently. They are too far away from their customers, with a totally different language which needs interpretation in the middle. So it's a case of whether a box does what you need right now and whether it does it well enough.

• madexmatt
  • Topic Author
More
02 Mar 2020 18:24 #24 by madexmatt
The 2960 is rock solid.

However, look up PFsense / OpnSense, make your own router and get a decent AP.

Draytek was the best for me in my home environment, I'm trying to make my home lab smaller now ;)