DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

BeThere and Draytek

More
27 Dec 2006 23:06 #1 by boxst
BeThere and Draytek was created by boxst
Hello

I've had a Draytek for quite a while now (2600vg) and have been happy with it and my ISP (Zen). Over the weekend my exchange went live with 'Be' and the pull of 24mb is tempting.

If I decide to go with them, will the 2600V work or do I need to 2800?

Thanks,

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2006 08:55 #2 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic BeThere and Draytek
I believe the 2600 only supports up to 8Mb and there have been several reports of issues with Be and the 2800. Try doing a search!

More
28 Dec 2006 09:20 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic BeThere and Draytek
Be rarely goes to 24Mb/s (well, I've never actually heard of anyone getting it TBH...) but it uses ADSL2+ and to get the highest speed you 'seem' to need to use their own modems as they use 'unusual' DSLAM settings. They can adjust line parameters to suit other modems(routers) better.

To be honest if you're getting 8Mb/s on regular ADSL, who currently needs higher :-) The Vigor2600 supports ADSL which runs up to *mb/s only.

Forum Administrator

More
11 Feb 2007 14:56 #4 by tallbloke
Replied by tallbloke on topic BeThere and Draytek
hi, i have a vigor 2800VG and I'm currently on BE*. My DSL is capable of 12-14Mb down with the supplied speedtouch. The Vigor 2800 does not play well, managing a paltry 7Mb dl. I also had similar issues with Bulldog's ADSL2+ service using the 2800, although not as pronounced.

I'd wait to see whether the Draytek engineers in Taiwan solve this problem through firmware. I've also heard speculative remarks that the 2800's adsl chipset may well be incompatible with Be's DSLAMs...

I originally purchased the 2200USB, 2600V and now the 2800VG. They have a great feature set, SEG tech support has been very good, however the 2+ speed issue means this is probably the last time I invest in draytek equipment. Just because an item is labeled 'ADSL2+' doesn't mean it will play properly with other 'ADSL2+' rated equipment. The current reality is you might get a faster downlink using ADSL on a MAX 8Mb service than you will on ADSL2+ with a vigor 2800!

cheers

tb

More
12 Feb 2007 08:30 #5 by boxst
Replied by boxst on topic BeThere and Draytek
I absolutely hated the Be*Box, so needed to get another modem. In the end I purchased a Netgear NG834N.

Not as good or feature rich as the 2800VG, but I get 19mb download using it.

Steve

More
03 Aug 2007 21:28 #6 by marksim
Replied by marksim on topic BeThere and Draytek
We have installed a 2910 with the Bethere box in bridge mode which is working great with VPN setup to a core site from the branch office.

Bearing in mind every Be customer has the BEbox; I think personally this is the best option as it's easier to support and figure out whats wrong in the event of any problems. You also know that generally the Bebox provides the best performance as it's matched to the DSLAM rather than having to tweak it to work with another ADSL2+ router.

Mark Simcock

Moderators: Sami