DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 VPN passthrough - 3.3.0 firmware broke it?

• richardlwood
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jun 2009 00:11 #1 by richardlwood
Hi,

I have a 2820 ADSL router.

It had firmware 3.2.1 and VPN passthrough was working great (Sonicwall Global VPN client).

I upgraded the firmware on the 2820 to 3.3.0 and it completely killed VPN passthrough?

Tried 3.3.1.2 (IIRC) and that is just the same.

I've had to downgrade back to 3.2.1 and its working fine again.

Any ideas if there's a setting(s) I need to change or is this a bug in the firmware?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2009 20:05 #2 by jpwharmby
Replied by jpwharmby on topic 2820 VPN passthrough - 3.3.0 firmware broke it?
Arghh - annoying as hell.

Have been battling with this all afternoon - but don't want to downgrade to the 3.2.1 firmware.

We use Cisco VPN with work and it connects fine, but doesn't recieve any data (although will happily transmit)

Have tried the 3.3.2_RC5 firmware too - but if you disable the VPNs on the router with that it nearly bricks the box.....not good (have done that three times today just to make sure - bored of it now so are sticking to 3.3.1.2_232201)

I have also turned on IPSec Passthrough via telnet and still no happies.

Hopefully someone will answer this before I am on call next!!

• richardlwood
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jul 2009 23:41 #3 by richardlwood
Replied by richardlwood on topic 2820 VPN passthrough - 3.3.0 firmware broke it?
I know, very poor service from Draytek.

Absolutely no response from them, not even "yes, we're aware of the problem and it has been logged with the dev team" or something.

I'm starting to think they're another one of these companies that doesn't know what "aftersales service" and "repeat business" means.

Hello Draytek? This ADSL router isn't the bottom of the range cheapie as you know, I expect it to work properly, all advertised features of it. Please.

Can you fix the firmware or give all users of this router a partial refund due to the fact you have removed the VPN passthough functionality.

More
06 Jul 2009 22:36 #4 by jpwharmby
OK - I have this working now, but are not sure quite how....which is never an idea situation.

I made a few changes on the router this afternoon, and then tested VPN on my laptop and it worked fine......grrr.

Changes made -
add a port redirection (non related to VPN)
turn on RIP on my LAN (to play with)
turn on IGMP proxy and snooping (thought it was worth a try)

I have since gone back through and disabled all of these, or changed them in combinations - and the VPN still works wether I have them all on, or all off, or some on and some off. Frustrating!

I have just remembered I generated a local certificate for my domain....not going to remove that one - maybe someone can test generating one to see if this helps?

hmmmm, hate it when this happens, but glad I can remote onto work.

• richardlwood
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jul 2009 11:32 #5 by richardlwood
Replied by richardlwood on topic 2820 VPN passthrough - 3.3.0 firmware broke it?

jpwharmby wrote: OK - I have this working now, but are not sure quite how....which is never an idea situation.

I made a few changes on the router this afternoon, and then tested VPN on my laptop and it worked fine......grrr.

Changes made -
add a port redirection (non related to VPN)
turn on RIP on my LAN (to play with)
turn on IGMP proxy and snooping (thought it was worth a try)

I have since gone back through and disabled all of these, or changed them in combinations - and the VPN still works wether I have them all on, or all off, or some on and some off. Frustrating!

Hah! Don't you just love it when this happens? :)

I have just remembered I generated a local certificate for my domain....not going to remove that one - maybe someone can test generating one to see if this helps?

I can't see that affecting it at all, you're the client and work is the server so its work that needs a valid certificate.

If it is that does that mean that the old firmware came "preconfigured" with a valid local certificate or generated one at first startup?

More
07 Jul 2009 15:05 #6 by jpwharmby
Yep - I LOVE it like a dose of the clap.

I know - odd isn't it, I suppose it could have been the VPN at work.......it happens but I didn't get any alerts to say there were problems.

Anyway - I thought I would put everything down that I changed in case it helped anyone at all......likelyhood of that is low, but you never know.