DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n question.

• exprmicri
  • Topic Author
More
24 Aug 2010 16:33 #1 by exprmicri
2820n question. was created by exprmicri
can i vpn into my work network through this router without myself having a 2820n router? cant reaslly find any information set in stone and i don't have the admin username or password to let me have a "route" around. excuse the pun.

i would like to be able to give 2 staff, at any given time,access to the work network at any one time, more if possible. is this configurable?

thanks in advance.

h

Oh and i know i will need to get the admin username and password from the telecoms company that installed it as part of new phone systems. i assume it will be as easier to configure than a juniper ssl vpn box?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2010 16:52 #2 by rpg
Replied by rpg on topic 2820n question.
From the 2820 GUI just go to "VPN and Remote Access -> Remote Access Control" and enable the protocol you wish to use; PPTP is easiest !

Then from "VPN and Remote Access -> Remote Dial-in User" create as many User Accounts as you need.

Then from any remote PC (Windows anyway) create a new VPN connection to the IP of your ADSL and give it the username / password that your created.

I think the Draytek is limited to 32 user accounts but do bear in mind your ADSL upload speed as that will be the limiting factor when trying to do useful work on the network.

• exprmicri
  • Topic Author
More
24 Aug 2010 17:08 #3 by exprmicri
Replied by exprmicri on topic 2820n question.
cheers rpg

It will only be for the 6 department managers and perhaps one of the assistants. we have 2 isdn lines (so i am told by our telecoms company who i have been trying to get hold of to come out here for over a week now), so that shouldn't be a problem. most of the programs thney would be using would only use our network resources and i would be disabling proxy on remote access to avoid anyone "accidently" downloading or visiting "relaxating" sites.

hope it doesnt sap too much bandwidth as the other option is a terminal services server and i hate building them.

H

• exprmicri
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2010 17:06 #4 by exprmicri

rpg wrote: From the 2820 GUI just go to "VPN and Remote Access -> Remote Access Control" and enable the protocol you wish to use; PPTP is easiest !

will enabling another protocol have any affect on the vigor to vigor vpn tunnel currently connecting my bosses house network and the office?

TIA

H

• exprmicri
  • Topic Author
More
22 Sep 2010 09:41 #5 by exprmicri
bump!!

don't want to knock of any other VPN's, the two MD's have had draytek 2820n's installed at their houses by the telecoms company without my knowledge.

More
22 Sep 2010 14:35 #6 by rpg
Replied by rpg on topic 2820n question.
The LAN to LAN will be configured to use a certain protocol, I doubt PPTP. Turning it on will not make any difference to them.

Also, you are looking at setting up a Remote User whereas the others will be in the LAN->LAN part.

Be brave and turn it on !!