DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820N and iMac Airport Card - Do they work together?

• ben_df
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jul 2008 23:26 #1 by ben_df
Hi,

Has anyone got the 2820N to work with a first edition aluminium iMac in n mode.

I can't find any indication of whether my iMac wireless card is draft 1 or 2 of the n standard, or even if it matters.

I've found a couple of people having problems with the 2820N and macs, but would be interested to hear from people who've not had problems.

If I get this router I need it to work in n mode, not just b or g.

Thanks,

Ben.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2008 07:41 #2 by nostartnoend
Replied by nostartnoend on topic 2820N and iMac Airport Card - Do they work together?
I don't have specific N info, but I do have an e-mail regarding general Mac compatibility straight from DrayTek. This is in response to my latest status check after the dozens of e-mails I've already sent.

Dear ****,

I am very sorry all inconvenience that we may cause, as you mentioned in the last mail, old MAC OS version does not has wireless problem, but it arise in new version(and the new OS has wireleess problem with many other wireless routers), I think the new MAC OS may do some changes in wireless function. So I mailed to Apple to seek for help, but Apple think that's not their problem. In order to solvethis problem, we purchase a new MAC device last week and try to find out the problem, but we need more time to analyze this problem, if I get any news of the issue, I will inform you ASAP.

Best regards,
Benson Huang
FAE Department / Draytek Corp.
http://www.draytek.com/support/index.php
DrayTek: for Vigorous Broadband Access

Isn't that great? They got a new Mac last week because apparently they were running PPC models with Tiger up until now. Right on, DrayTek!

Mac OS X 10.5.x (MacBook Pro, iMac) • Vigor 2910VG router

• ben_df
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jul 2008 07:59 #3 by ben_df
Ah, thats interesting, thanks.

I got a post from another user on another forum who said that all was working fine for him with his mac and 2820n but he didn't state exactly what mac and os version he had.

Anyway, based on that post I ordered the router which arrived yesterday. I've set it all up except the wireless and everything is working fine so far.

I set up the wireless as soon as I have a chance and post my experiences back here. I may not get a chance until after the weekend as I'm going away.

Cheers,

Ben.

• ben_df
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jul 2008 08:00 #4 by ben_df
Hi,

I forgot to ask... what sort of problems are you having ?

More
17 Jul 2008 08:09 #5 by nostartnoend
Replied by nostartnoend on topic 2820N and iMac Airport Card - Do they work together?

ben_df wrote: what sort of problems are you having ?

My main problem is basic WLAN access. I can usually connect to the network but I can't access the Internet for any reasonable amount of time.

A few seconds (or sometimes minutes) after connecting, the signal strength will appear to drop in the AirPort menubar icon and I'll be unable to do anything that involves a network connection -- including accessing the router on the LAN.

Using the exact same settings as on the DrayTek, I have no problem connecting with a D-Link router. I think the issue is a buildup of faulty DNS queries, but I'm not sure.

Mac OS X 10.5.x (MacBook Pro, iMac) • Vigor 2910VG router

More
18 Jul 2008 18:45 #6 by willcocksj
Replied by willcocksj on topic Is the 2820Vn usable with a macbook pro?
Hi looking to buy a 2820Vn has anybody got the wireless working reliable with a new mac (imac/macbook pro etc)?

Cheers
si