DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820N and iMac Airport Card - Do they work together?

• ben_df
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jul 2008 19:24 #7 by ben_df
Hi,

Well, I've just enabled the wireless on the router and it seems to work fine. No problems setting it up or anything like that.

I set it to n only and have enabled security using WPA2/PSK.

It basically worked straight off without any issues. I'm away for the weekend and the wireless has only been up about 30mins so it's not really a thorough test.

I will post an update next week to confirm it's working or otherwise.

I'll have to put it back into mixed n and g mode to support my laptop and PS3, but wanted to verify the n compatibility first.

So far I'm very happy with the router.

By the way my firmware is 3.2.1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2008 19:58 #8 by middling
Replied by middling on topic Re: Is the 2820Vn usable with a macbook pro?

willcocksj wrote: Hi looking to buy a 2820Vn has anybody got the wireless working reliable with a new mac (imac/macbook pro etc)?

I've been running the 2820VN's wireless (g+n) with 3 Macs since this morning with few problems.

For some reason when setting the 2820VN to use channel 13 (my preferred channel since no one ever goes up there) none of the Macs could connect, although they had been previously connecting perfectly fine to a Linksys WRT54G running tomato on that channel. Dropping the 2820VN down to channel 3 solved that problem and all 3 Macs have been running fine since.

The Macs are:

1.42GHz PPC eMac
2.0GHz Intel iMac (September 2007)
2.2GHz Macbook (early 2008).

More
18 Jul 2008 20:16 #9 by nostartnoend
Replied by nostartnoend on topic 2820N and iMac Airport Card - Do they work together?
Do you know what sort of WiFi card the 2820 uses?

Most recent Macs use Broadcom, I believe. I seem to recall reading that there were some hardware inconsistencies between Broadcom and whatever DrayTek uses in the 2910 -- AirLink(?), it might have been.

Sorry to have gone OT. I know this is a 2820 thread. At any rate, it's encouraging to see that some DrayTek routers are working well with Macs.

Mac OS X 10.5.x (MacBook Pro, iMac) • Vigor 2910VG router

More
19 Jul 2008 12:30 #10 by willcocksj
Replied by willcocksj on topic Re: Is the 2820Vn usable with a macbook pro?

Middling wrote: I've been running the 2820VN's wireless (g+n) with 3 Macs since this morning with few problems.

Cool thanks for that - I will buy one now and give it a go and I will let you know how I get on.

• ben_df
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2008 12:37 #11 by ben_df
Well, i've been using the wireless for serveral days now. Most of the time everything is fine.

However I do sometime lose my wireless connection. The signal strength reports high as normal, but I have no connectivity over wireless either to the internet or to the router.

Turning off the wireless card on the iMac and then turning it on again solves the problem but this is quite irritating.

I'm currently using wireless in mixed g/n mode using WPA2/PSK.

I haven't seen any noticeable pattern to the drop outs yet.

Is anyone else having these types of problem?

More
22 Jul 2008 13:23 #12 by nostartnoend
Replied by nostartnoend on topic 2820N and iMac Airport Card - Do they work together?

ben_df wrote: I'm currently using wireless in mixed g/n mode using WPA2/PSK. Is anyone else having these types of problem?

My suspicion is that it's the G mode on DrayTek WiFi hardware. For the sake of experiment, can you leave your router in N-only mode and see if you get the same dropouts?

Mac OS X 10.5.x (MacBook Pro, iMac) • Vigor 2910VG router