DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820N and iMac Airport Card - Do they work together?

• ben_df
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2008 13:36 #13 by ben_df
Yes, I'll do that when I get home. Will mean the PS3 is offline for a bit but that's not a big deal.

I was also wondering how to tell what type of connection my mac has made to the router. If the router is running in g/n mode how can I verify whether my mac has connected using g or n?

I did try finding this out but with no luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2008 21:24 #14 by middling

ben_df wrote: I was also wondering how to tell what type of connection my mac has made to the router. If the router is running in g/n mode how can I verify whether my mac has connected using g or n?

Open /Applications/Utilities/Network Utility. Select the Network Interface (en1 is the wireless) and it should give you the connection speed. If you're connecting at 130 Mbit/sec then you're on n, if less then you're probably on g.

• ben_df
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jul 2008 13:53 #15 by ben_df
Hi, just a quick update to my connection probel.

I was going to switch back to n mode only to see if this improved things... however I not done this and I've not had any more connection problems.

Having said that I don't have any g devices trying to connect at the moment. When I get a chance I will try connecting with my PS3 and laptop which are both G and see if this causes any problems with the mixed mode.

I'll hopefully get a chance to try this tonight and will post an update.

More
08 Aug 2008 10:40 #16 by rnc
when close to the 2820nv i see good behaviour in 'n' mode. in areas of poor signal, i get pulsing of signal strength as described in this thread. my machine is a macbook pro, osx 10.5.4, Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87)

my wife's ibook does not have the problem, although it is worth stating that the aluminium case of the macbook pro always attenuates the signal compared to an ibook.

update: running Ethereal on the Macbook Pro in low signal strength conditions shows that I am seeing a lot of Wireless 'beacon frames' fomr the 2820nv device. But I don't see any frames going out from the Mac's interface.

More
21 Sep 2008 14:10 #17 by giacecco
Just to let you know that you are not alone: I am another "lucky" owner of a brand new Macbook Pro who cannot manage to work properly on a wireless network. Using 'n' only, channels, or different encryption protocols does not change the situation. Everytime the network works for one minute or two, and then goes dead.

G.

More
24 Nov 2009 09:31 #18 by arkid77
same problem here. just setup a 2820n and it works fine with 3/4 embedded devices and my samsung laptop. flatmate has a 2yr old imac and its no go. still to try all permutations of the channels/encryption types but it seems already from other comments here that this may not help???