DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820 Wireless

• aaron.smith
  • Topic Author
More
26 May 2011 22:00 #1 by aaron.smith
Draytek 2820 Wireless was created by aaron.smith
Just upgraded my 2820 to the 3.3.5.2 firmware onto my router, ever since i loaded it on iv been plagued with wifi issues, the connection randomly drops when is it connected it seems to run very very very slowly, iv opened the wireless properties on my laptop and seen speeds registered as 1mbps, not good :(

Strange thing is that i dont think the settings in the web interface are even representitive of what the router is doing, iv got the wireless set to be 11b only, yet my laptop and iphone insist that its 54mb (didnt think this was possible...)

Anyone else getting these issues ???

Aaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jun 2011 19:18 #2 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
Have you tried updating the wlan drivers on your pc's? Check the PC manufacturers website but also it's worth looking at the WLAN card manufacturers website because frequently they can be much more recent.

Wireless wise, one of the differences between the earlier 2820 firmware and the later versions is the addition of the WMM Configuration menu. On the basic that you didn't have issues with the earlier firmware, something you could try is disabling WMM and APSD in case there is some sort of incompatibility with WMM and your WLAN drivers. (if there was then updating the PC drivers will probably help)

Why are you using 802.11b ? I guess just due to experimenting with things? 802.11n will give much better performance.

If you do have doubt about the settings displayed in the Web UI vs what your PC is you could .rst flash to make sure, but I think it's more likey a display issue on the clients. Wher does it say the connection speed on the iphone? I've not noticed that before.

More
10 Jun 2011 13:11 #3 by johnlil
Replied by johnlil on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
I have experienced exactly the same issues. After upgrade the wired performance is fine, however the WLAN performance is very erractic, excellent for a number of minutes then both loosing connection and slow connections, then back to excellent. I don't believe there was any regular schedule exhibited and reboots did not solve the problem. It was the same experience on a variety of client devices ranging from Win 7 laptops, Win XP, iOS devices, Android and BlackBerry smartphones, all either g or n devices.

I have reverted to 3.3.3 and will monitor performance

• empi
  • User
  • User
More
13 Jun 2011 11:49 #4 by empi
Replied by empi on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
Hello,

I am running the latest 3.3.5.2 firmware version on Draytek 2820 and experiencing similar very bad wifi performance. I have tried two laptops, both with Intel 3945ABG chips, one running 12.4.1.4 driver and the other latest 13.5 Intel driver. The signal level is excellent as I am basically sitting 2m away from the router. The wifi transfer rates are well below anything normal, running dog slow at 300-800 kbs. The ping times to the router are all over the place, values jump for no reason (there is nothing going on the network) between 15ms to 400ms, averaging at around quite high 70-80ms.

Johnlil, did you roll back to 3.3.3 and did it resolve this problem?

Thanks,
empi

• empi
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jun 2011 19:59 #5 by empi
Replied by empi on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
Today I downgraded firmware to 3.3.4 and it fixed my wifi performance problem. On both laptops pings to the router came back to its normal values, aroud 2ms. File transfers speeds jumped to 3MB/s. If anyone needs link to the old firmware here is the link:

ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/V3.3.4/

Regards,
empi

More
18 Jun 2011 18:01 #6 by misterg
Replied by misterg on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
Hi i have had a 2820n for a couple of years now and have been very happy with its solid performance.

Ive recently upgraded my BB to infinity which is very nice n fast, with the homehub3 on wireless N im getting 37Mb down and almost 8Mb up as verified by speedtest.net
Today i hooked up my draytek via the WAN2 port expecting to get the same if not better results, but it seems to be struggling on wifi, especially on the upload which struggles to break 5mb, and i get very variable results on the D/L too. this was the case even with the HH set with the same wireless settings, (channel, N-only, WPA2 only) - wired connections are OK.

Heres an image from speedtest for my upload.. you can clearly see the HH3 vs the draytek.

Im currently running FW 3.3.5.2 i will try dropping back to 3.3.3 to see how that goes.

Edit: downgrading made no difference.. Im thinking maybe my router is faulty?.. i have noticed its been dropping and even resetting itself lately, used to get months of uptime from it, now it struggles to get a couple hundred hours.. just checked its 3 years old so out of warranty :(

Couple more stats:
CRC errors for the Draytek:

CRC errors for the HH3 are much less.