DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820 Wireless

More
19 Jun 2011 13:47 #7 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
Try the wireless channel bandwidth on 20MHz instead of 40MHz? You can set that from the advanced settings page.

Also is the HH using the same channel?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2011 22:41 #8 by misterg
Replied by misterg on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless

Voodle wrote: Try the wireless channel bandwidth on 20MHz instead of 40MHz? You can set that from the advanced settings page.

Also is the HH using the same channel?

Cheers ill give the 20mhz thing a go, reading up on it it makes sense as the HH sticks around 130-144mbit while the Draytek normally is 270-300
both are on the same channel (13)
It could be a case of interference from other wifi sources, unfortunately living in an apartment means theres usually half-dozen other networks in range.

• empi
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jun 2011 09:30 #9 by empi
Replied by empi on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless

empi wrote: Today I downgraded firmware to 3.3.4 and it fixed my wifi performance problem. On both laptops pings to the router came back to its normal values, aroud 2ms. File transfers speeds jumped to 3MB/s. If anyone needs link to the old firmware here is the link:

ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/V3.3.4/

Regards,
empi

After the downgrade my initial tests were very positive, but now couple of days later I noticed that wifi is back in the slow line. I have tried both channel bandwidth on 20MHz and 40MHz, a few channels and encryption methods - it all makes no difference. My Vigor 2820 is around 1.5 years old and for a long time was almost flawless. Wired connections are still running perfectly fine, it's only wifi running very slow. Will be downgrading to 3.3.3 as well to see if this helps.

More
26 Jun 2011 10:18 #10 by dbames
Replied by dbames on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
After moving my router to 3.3.5.2 I've found that when I wake up a laptop running Windows 7 that's connecting wirelessly, I'll have a stalled connection to the router: laptop will think it's connected and show ip address and new dhcp lease, but no data flow to router. Then it'll change to limited connection. Generally if I force an ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew it'll fix itself. I didn't see this on the previous f/w (3.3.5.2 beta 2). And neither do I witness it with the same laptop when it's running with an XP image). It's as if something's broken in 3.3.5.2.

If I have time, I'll try regressing the f/w to find a version that behaves properly.

More
28 Jun 2011 23:06 #11 by linker3000
Replied by linker3000 on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
Just to add to the list - on 3.3.5.2 wifi is abysmal unless I switch it down to b/g only. With 'n' enabled, laptops (XP and Fedora 15) randomly drop their connections and I cannot ping the router or external hosts (but I can ping other machines on the network) and things run incredibly slowly.

I have just plugged a LAN cable into my laptop in order to get online and come here specifically to see whether anyone else is having the same problem - guess I am not alone.

Edit: I have logged a support request with Draytek UK, pointing them to this thread.

Edit 2: Draytek contacted me, but by that time I had downgraded to 3.3.4.1 and all my problems have disappeared. I have suggested they contact some of the others in this thread as there does seem to be something to check out. Whether Draytek do take any action though...??

Edit 3: Several weeks later and I'm still working fine on 3.3.4.1, but just to add a note that I am now considering not using Draytek routers in corporate environments in the future as the quality of the kit has decreased significantly since the days of the 2600s and there are just too many issues with wifi in the 28xx/2820 range; why Draytek can't get this right I will never know. Worse case scenario I will now consider is a non-wifi enabled Draytek with a separate access point from someone else. - though it's hard to justify why I should have to go to all that trouble when I'd be paying so much more for the Draytek kit compared to other brands - the only redeeming feature is hardware VPN support that works fairly reliably.

• northerngit
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jun 2011 11:12 #12 by northerngit
Replied by northerngit on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
Hi,

Same here - but I can't say it's isolated to 3.3.5.2. Since 3.3.1 I've been plagued with wireless issues. Starting with an inability to use any XBOX via Draytek wireless. Since 3.3.5.2 things have only become worse. All iOS devices drop connection every 5 minutes, the XBOX drops after 10. All Windows 7 and OS X devices see massive packet loss, and an inability to copy large files from a CentOS server. I've had support tickets open for over a year. Large transfers from the internet congest the wireless connection to the point other devices can't lease DHCP addresses.

Testing with various other vendors sees the problems go away - for the majority.

Worse, we deployed AP-700 and 2820 across our main and satellite offices. While the ADSL / failover and VPN works adequately (L2TP/IPSEC is broken...) the AP-700 causes random drop outs throughout the day across all devices, across all offices.

Every firmware release breaks previously working functionality, and supposed fixes don't work. Draytek firmware updates have become a game of russian roulette.

I've given up. I replaced the Draytek at home with an Apple Time Capsule and Airport Extreme in roaming mode. All the issues disappeared.

I'm in the process of removing all Draytek equipement from our company inventory and moving to Cisco.

We've wasted enough money and time on Draytek - who seem to have lost their way. I won't be looking back; and from looking at this forum and talking to other contacts in the industry, I'm not the only one.

J.