DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820 Wireless

More
15 Aug 2011 22:29 #19 by nealtosney
Replied by nealtosney on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
Oh, believe me, I absolutely agree. Draytek really need to get a better handle on the stability and longevity of their configuration. It has become pretty much their stock answer to any problems post upgrade (to re-configure from scratch), which simply isn't good enough in a network environment of any kind of scale.

Thankfully, I only operate one Draytek now, so it isn't such a big problem, but Draytek should take note that this is one of the reasons they simply aren't being taken seriously beyond the consumer market!

Neal T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2011 13:25 #20 by stuey
Replied by stuey on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
Thanks for the advice. I was also dangerously close to give up on Draytek and previously had sequentially upgraded without doing a full reset (and copy down of all settings ...)
I have done it this morning on the 3 x 2820vn's, as we were having horrendous dropouts/etc from the wireless and it seems to be a big improvement. If there's any problems I'll be sure to update, but it currently seems to be much snappier and no sign of the flaky dropouts/etc.

Regards

More
02 Apr 2012 13:03 #21 by linker3000
Replied by linker3000 on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
Time to wake up this old thread. I'm still using a (moderately) trusty 2820N for my home connection and having just upgraded the firmware to 3.3.7.1A, March 2012 edition, I though I'd turn on wireless N for a laugh and, yep, absolutely nothing will connect to the router, so it's back to b/g only.

More
02 Apr 2012 13:23 #22 by nealtosney
In short, it sounds like steering clear of the current firmware looks like solid advice?!?! I wonder if you did a full reset, upgraded the firmware and then re-configured from scratch if it would exhibit the same behaviour?

Neal T

• mikedavidm
  • User
  • User
More
19 Apr 2012 13:37 #23 by mikedavidm
Replied by mikedavidm on topic Re: Draytek 2820 Wireless
I too have been plagued by wirelss problems since doing a firmware upgrade on the 2820 to the latest. I even used the .rst file and re-did all the settings but it was still usesless and has caused me a lot of issues on site with repeat visits and after a while the customer is bound to call into question my compentence on recommending this bit of kit.
I have to say that I really, really like draytek kit but I won't buy any more of them with in-built wireless. I'll buy a little netgear or similar to run alongside it but I certainly won't use Draytek wireless again, ever.

More
19 Apr 2012 14:17 #24 by nealtosney
So far, I've found that running firmware version 3.3.5.2 with a nightly re-boot gives me good stability with no degradation in wireless throughput. I've tried the more recent firmware revisions (both upgrading and full configuration reset) but the wireless throughput is appalling. In general I think the Vigor 2820 is a great router, but it's a real shame that the firmware upgrades don't work (for me anyway) and I have to resort to workarounds such as nightly reboots simply to maintain stability!

Come on Draytek, there must be something you can do to resolve this :?:

Neal T