DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Apple WiFi woes

More
24 Jan 2018 12:43 #13 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Apple WiFi woes
Possibly could you test with Band Steering disabled?

Alternatively / additionally, change the SSID names so that 2.4GHz has one name and 5GHz has another?

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jan 2018 10:46 #14 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: Apple WiFi woes
For me... Band Steering is disabled, as well as Roaming & Airtime Fairness.

I have now completely disabled the Wireless on the 2860ac (fw3.8.6) and it has improved matters but unfortunately this gives me lower speeds in the vicinity of the router.

Quite a few firmwares back the network worked flawlessly - recent firmware updates of both the APs and Router have proved flaky and I cannot seem to find a combination that works well - when changing settings on one AP (of the AP or the Router) I reflect it everywhere for both frequencies.

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to take RSSI readings in as many areas as I can so I know which AP is going to give me the best results!

Trying to obtain house wide coverage of 5GHz is most important as my broadband bandwidth is greater than that of 802.11n! On the whole the majority of the wireless devices are 802.11ac capable but I need to allow for legacy.

Separating SSIDs does not work for me, really need 2.4 & 5 to be on the same SSID and let the device decide.

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jan 2018 19:52 #15 by macximum
Had a further tinker...

Both AP910Cs are working tremendously on both 2.4GHz & 5GHz with the same SSID. They seem to like to Auto find the most suitable wireless channel on 5GHz but are happy to have the 2.4GHz channel manually selected.

Activate 5GHz on the 2860ac and everything goes to pieces, even if I use a different SSID for 5GHz!!
I think the 2860ac is headed for a full .rst soon but then I'll have the headache of reconfiguring all the port forwards and fixed IPs from the ground up!

Perhaps I should put it in the trash and get a 2862ac!!!???

• steveburke
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jan 2018 20:17 #16 by steveburke
Replied by steveburke on topic Re: Apple WiFi woes

macximum wrote: Had a further tinker...
Activate 5GHz on the 2860ac and everything goes to pieces, even if I use a different SSID for 5GHz!!
I think the 2860ac is headed for a full .rst soon but then I'll have the headache of reconfiguring all the port forwards and fixed IPs from the ground up!

Perhaps I should put it in the trash and get a 2862ac!!!???

Try flashing it back down to 3.8.5 and I bet all will behave beautifully again... Worth a try before doing a .rst, just to prove the point if nothing else?

More
01 Feb 2018 08:08 #17 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Apple WiFi woes
You shouldn't have to re-configure everything if you save the config and the IP bind settings before you rst.

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2018 09:28 #18 by macximum

steveburke wrote: Try flashing it back down to 3.8.5 and I bet all will behave beautifully again... Worth a try before doing a .rst, just to prove the point if nothing else?

Thanks Steve, I put it back to 3.8.5.1 last night and so far so good. In the end 3.8.6 was even stalling WAN connectivity, wired too! LAN was OK.

Piste Basher wrote: You shouldn't have to re-configure everything if you save the config and the IP bind settings before you rst.

Thanks Piste, noted.