DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2927ax (ax) Mesh Root Support

• cooper-man
  • Topic Author
More
12 Sep 2022 15:09 #1 by cooper-man
2927ax (ax) Mesh Root Support was created by cooper-man
Does anyone know when we can expect to have the firmware update so that the 2927ax will support Mesh and as a root for the mesh?

I’ve had to buy another AP960c to act as the mesh root as the 2927ax still doesn’t support mesh..

This doesn’t look good for Draytek, 2927ax is one of only a few wifi 6 routers they sell.

Not so happy,

Bob…

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2022 17:33 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2927ax (ax) Mesh Root Support
I've been waiting quite a while for mesh to appear on my 2927ax (foolishly I pressed the "buy" button without reading the small print when "upgrading" from a 2927ac)

Given this scenario and all the various issues reported with wifi on various devices over the years it seems to me that Draytek must use different wifi hardware in their routers to that used in their AP's.

Why they should do this I have no idea.

More
06 Nov 2022 15:25 #3 by piste basher
I've posted in other threads (naughty me) about mesh support having been added to the 2927ax in firmware 4.4.2 - at last you may think 8)

Only problem is it doesn't work. All seems OK until I try to adopt any nodes - the "search" function simply fails to find any (AP960 - although the router claims that it only supports AP906, which doesn't exist as far as I know).

I've raised a ticket with support......

More
07 Nov 2022 17:26 #4 by piste basher
I've received this response from Support:-

"Thank you for contacting technical support. only AP906 will be supported.The 2927AX currently has not been configured to support mesh as a root for any device It can only operate in AP mode and when mesh is available for the router it will be available to operate as a root for the Vigor 906. For the 960C I advise establishing the AP's in AP mode and from there using AP central management to configure and operate them. Thanks."

So my thoughts are: a) why does the firmware put the mesh option on the router if it's not capable of it ? b) the AP906 does exist but, as far as I can tell, it is not sold in the UK c) the Draytek UK website features list for the 2927ax states "Mesh Root support with DrayTek VigorAP Mesh Nodes – *Planned in future firmware release" - no mention here of the AP Mesh Nodes only being AP906 :roll:

Not impressed :twisted:

More
08 Nov 2022 09:21 #5 by piste basher
I put these points to support - their response :-

"Thank you for your response. I am sorry for inconvience.it is supported and compatible with AP-906 we need to wait for this AP to be launched in the UK (probably 2-3 months time) in terms of capabilities, it will be similar to the AP-903. The new AP-906 will have a brand new look, wifi 6 on board, and mesh compatibility with ax routers. Thanks. "

Anyone want to buy 3 expensive AP960's ? :roll: :roll:

More
08 Nov 2022 20:05 #6 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: 2927ax (ax) Mesh Root Support
This is a joke, isn't it?

So, people buy expensive stuff, as Draytek is, and this is what they get. Mesh has been around for some time, and Draytek is only now experimenting with its implementation. I don't get that. What's happened to the Draytek I knew?

Moderators: Sami