PSTN function of IPPBX 2820

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2010 17:10 #13 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
hi andy,

we have successfully installed several IPPBX2820's & VigorPhone 350's into small businesses along with an NFR internal use product.

yes there have been some teething problems and there are a couple of issues with the firmware, but nothing we have not ever seen in new technology before.

most people like to complain about the firmware without actually realising that software issues are the norm within technology.

I don't know one bit of IT hardware which isn't dependant on some firmware or other software that hasn't had any flaws.

Whether it's a PC operating system (windows), open source software or a router, every bit of technology in this world has bugs and system crashes!

It is impossible for a manufacturer to release any product into the mainstream arena which has been tested under every little environment variable that a customer might use it for.

There are many products today which have earned companies in excess of billions which are still very buggy and frequently crash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2010 17:57 #14 by doubledutch
Replied by doubledutch on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
asimm.it - Do you work for SEG/Draytek?

I've NEVER known a Draytek product released that was as unstable and buggy as the ippbx. In fact I'd say it was one of the most buggy products I've tried in a long time! But I'm sure Draytek are working hard to fix the problems - it's just unfortunate that they released it when imho it simply wasn't ready.

Just look at the list of 'corrections' in the BETA (post release) here that are still present in the STABLE version - shameful!:

Corrected: When the answer mode for FXS is configured with “0” to forward the phone call to the specified extension number, there is no effect.
Corrected: Vigor2820PBX registered to internal SIP server of a company. Whenthe user wants to switch the extension to SIP trunk for connecting with PSTN line by pressing 0, Vigor2820PBX would reboot.
Corrected: Sub accounts in SIP Alias cannot forward the incoming call to any extension number of the company.
Corrected: Spelling error on WUI.
Corrected: Yellow alarm message appears while operating IPPBX>>Line Setting>>SIP Trunk.
Corrected: Settings of index 49 and 50 in IP PBX>>Extension appear on index 51 and 52 in IP PBX>>PBX Status>>Extension Monitor. They must be consistent.
Corrected: while testing Dynamic DNS with WAN1 First specified for Internet Access, WAN2 cannot access Internet after WAN1 off-line. Even, only WAN2 is able to connect to Internet, people cannot connect DDNS via WAN2, either.
Corrected: While testing the performance of WAN1/WAN2 by using Router Test 3.89, the router will reboot after testing more than 4 hours.
Corrected: If the value of Expire Time in IP PBX>>SIP Trunk is set too large, it will be changed into other suitable value after saving.
Corrected: Corrected: an incoming call from SIP trunk then forward to the extension used by ISDN Phone, router will reboot after 20 ~ 30 minutes.
Corrected: No port number setting in the link of ISDN2-TE in IP PBX >> PBX System>>Phone Setting.
Corrected: When the trunk number in SIP Trunk Setup (via IPPBX Wizard) is configured as the same one set in Alias Number, there is no warning message and the setting will be saved directly.
Corrected: After powering on the router and connecting phones to ISDN-S0 port and ISDN-TE port, the router will reboot frequently and cannot run normally.
Corrected: After setting ISDN MSN numbers, the router still picks up other ISDN incoming calls beyond the specified range and causes other ISDN devices (sharing the same line) being unable to receive the ISDN call.
Corrected: In IP PBX>>Extension configuration page, when the Answer Mode is set “No answer after 5 seconds then Voice Mail", there is no effect to ISDN call.
Corrected: Auto-provision use the wrong field cause VigorPhone 350 can't do registration issue.
Corrected: After finishing the firmware upgrade, open IP PBX>>PBX System and click Phone Setting link. Next, click any index number link on Phone List page and click OK directly. A dialog of “The extension number has been used, please re enter!” will appear and you cannot save the configuration for the page.
Corrected: extension number for call forwarding bug in firmware version 3.5.3.
�� Corrected: When the outside line (external call) calls the SIP Trunk in VigorIPPBX 2820
and transfers to VigorPhone 350 registered in LAN, both sides can communicate normally.
However, if the one in VigorPhone 350 presses “Hold” and then “Line 1”, VigorIPPBX
2820 will reboot automatically and terminated the communication.
�� Corrected: both ends cannot hear any sound while call transferring via snom phone.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2d) the user cannot enter the password to check
the voice mail by using the phone connected to FXS port of VigorIPPBX 2820.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.3) After exchanging the port function for the ISDN TEand S0 port, the user cannot change the ISDN country code from ISDN>>General Setup.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2) When configuring ADSL connection for WAN1
interface through Quick Start Wizard, the message of “Undefined” is shown on the fields
of Primary DNS and Second DNS.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2) When configuring ADSL connection (with
Static IP) for WAN2 interface through Quick Start Wizard, the message of “Undefined”
is shown on the fields of Primary DNS and Second DNS.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2) Phone LED will light off when PSTN
connection is switched manually.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2) When Hotline function (with SIP Trunk
Number) is enabled for ISND1-S1 and ISDN2-S0, the router cannot detect DTMF and
cannot dial VoIP after restarting. However, it is normal before restarting the router.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2) After checking the boxes of
HL,SE,DND,CW,CT,CID as Call Feature for ISDN1-S0 and switching ISDN1-S0 into
ISDN2-TE, CW and CT will be shown on the field of Call Feature on IPPBX>>PBX
System>>Phone Setting page still after restarting the device. (However, if you click
Index 2 for viewing the details, the functions of CW and CE are not enabled.)
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2a) After hearing office hour greeting and pressing
the key play prompt set in Auto Attendant Wizard, VigorIPPBX 2820 will reboot
automatically.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4RC2d) When you upload IVR prompt through prompt
maintenance, the router will crash or reboot during the process of uploading.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2) Use SJPhone to register extension number (via
LAN in VigorIPPBX 2820). Dial the number from remote Internet Phone. Do not pick up
the SJPhone. Simply call back with Received Call function. The router will reboot at the
time.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2) Configure 3G USB Modem as the physical
mode for WAN2 interface from Quick Start Wizard and change it into Ethernet from
WAN>>General Setup, the physical mode for WAN2 will be changed into ADSL.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2) The router will reboot automatically when it
receives an incoming ISDN call.
�� Improved: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2e) A problem of number transferring error occurs
when testing the function of call parking.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2e) Phone of ISDN1-S0 is defined with an
extension number. If you use the local phone (901) to dial the extension number and hang
up the phone, the ISDN phone will not stop ringing.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2e) Phone of ISDN1-S0 is defined with an
extension number. If you use the local phone (901) to dial the extension number, the
number displayed on the ISDN1-S0 phone set will be 901 but not the extension number
defined for the ISDN-S0.
Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2g) Phone LED will always light on after using
the phone.
�� Corrected: (firmware version v3.5.4_RC2g) Press #0 on the phone connected to Phone
port of VigorIPPBX 2820 to switch into PSTN outside line, a busy tone will be heard.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2g) After leaving message (with voice mail) to
certain extension by using outside line, such message cannot be heard by dialing voice
mail number in the certain extension.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2g) A problem of one-way talk occurs when you
use the extension (A) registered via WAN interface to dial to extension ISDN1-S0 (N and
O) registered via LAN interface.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2g) When you use the extension (A) registered via
WAN interface to dial to extension 904 (ISDN-TE), the connection will fail. If you try to
dial again, the router will reboot.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2g) Multiple VigorPhone 350 with BLF function
turn on at the same time will cause the system crashes.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2g) When you use the VigorPhone 350 registered
via WAN interface to dial to the extension of VigorPhone 350 registered via LAN
interface, and then use the extension registered via LAN interface for transferring the
phone call to another VigorPhone 350 registered via LAN interface, the operation will be
terminated.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2g) Enter the password of voice mail to listen to
the message through ISDN-TE port, only wrong codec can be heard and the call will be
cut off later.
�� Corrected: (firmware version 3.5.4_RC2g) After configuring the Office Hours and
Non-Office Hours settings in Auto Attendant Wizard for ISDN-TE port, the extension
specified in Key 1 will not ring if you press #1.

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2010 18:51 #15 by asimm.it
hi doubledutch,

No I do not work for SEG or DrayTek Corp. I work for ASIMM IT.

I haven't disputed that the product has no flaws because we all know that it has

Can you give me the name of one IT product that you know of that has/had no flaws or issues upon it's 1st mainstream release?

How many flaws did your TrixBox a.k.a Asterisk@Home have upon mainstream release to its present day?

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?words=tracker_browse&sort=open_date&sortdir=desc&offset=0&group_id=123387&atid=696349&assignee=&status=&category=&artgroup=&keyword=&submitter=&artifact_id= (Here's a list for you)

I have no quarms with constructive criticism but I feel that your comments are unjustified of such a new product.

Based on your comments and experiences with the IPPBX2820, can you say forsure that you would not be making similar criticisms and comments regarding the Asterisk@Home product a.k.a. TrixBox that you are standing by today?

The DrayTek product will only getter better with more people using it and reporting the issues!

More
01 Feb 2010 23:08 #16 by doubledutch
The big difference is that TrixBox is free! When something cost over £300, I expect it to work. lol. Plus how many of the trixbox bugs cause a reboot? I had a quick look and didn't see any. Take a look at the Draytek list!

If I was to be a tester for a new product I would normally expect to be paid - not to pay for it!

It's not that new products have initial teething problems - it's that some of the problems with the 2820ippbx are so major that it should not have been released with them.

Stack based crashes (the ones were the router resets) should have been taken care of a LONG time ago.

Don't get me wrong, if anyone wants a router, I will aways recommend a Draytek - but as an ippbx I could not recommend this system because of bad reliability- plain and simple. Could you honestly put such a buggy system in your customers businesses?

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
02 Feb 2010 00:06 #17 by asimm.it
Our customers and our own in house IPPBX2820's are working the way they have been set up. We've not had any stack crashes (touch wood) and have not had any issues with uptime or general use of the product.

If it were the case that the IPPBX2820's were that unstable there would be no way they would be installed to any customer and it certainly wouldn't be used in house period!

£300 for a PBX with ISDN capability is peanuts, there are businesses that pay thousands for a PBX. Throw in the additional features of the IPPBX2820 and at £300 it's worth a look.

I don't disagree that it hasn't got its issues. The issues that we've encountered have not been drastic enough to say that it is not stable enough to use.

We dont suffer reboots and we haven't implemented it thinking we can use it for POTS.

The issues we have encountered we have been able to resolve or have been resolved with firmware updates.

The product is working, calls can be made and received, transferred and routed as per the configuration.

More to the point our customers are happy with the product, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters. If it didn't work we would seriously know about it!

More
02 Feb 2010 08:15 #18 by doubledutch
Lucky you. lol.

I can't believe you haven't had any reboots or crashes on any of the multiple units you have installed. We had reboots from day 1 - within hours of turning it on.