DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

PSTN function of IPPBX 2820

More
12 Mar 2010 12:39 #25 by doubledutch
Replied by doubledutch on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
This is the same as what we had - but we couldn't get stability - it crashed in front of customers and we had egg on our faces for recommending it!

Does it not feel like you have been treated as a beta (in this case alpha) tester?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
19 Mar 2010 15:46 #26 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820

asimm.it wrote: I guess so, or maybe you were just really unlucky and your unit had one of the very first firmware releases.

how many units did you have?

I stand corrected!

The IPPBX system becomes very unstable when used by 3 or more people!!!

ittel123 wrote: I've not used the PSTN function, but with regard to stablity - we've had numerous crashes.

I was about to return an IPPBX we rolled out, back to Draytek, but after a day's work reloading from factory defaults the IPPBX + Handsets and tweaking almost every setting I could (with thanks to the UK TS team at Draytek) I've got it so it's stable (touch wood) - for a company with only 3 employees I shouldn't have needed to do this, and it's damaged our reputation and Draytek's.

Real shame about Draytek Taiwan dropping the ball on this one, but go easy on the UK tech guys - they are good!

Our company is waiting to see what Draytek does next. If the firmwares improve features and stability drastically, we will try another roll out (internally at first).

As it stands I wouldn't risk an IPPBX at another customer, until I know for sure it can handle heavy load.

I whole heartedly agree with what you have said ittel123. We are currently looking at returning an IPPBX roll out for one of our customers. They have a setup of 4 employees and use ISDN2e. Initially there were a few teething problems but as the company have steadily got busier, the IPPBX has become majorly unstable. When you try to tweak the settings the problems are cured for about a day then they re-appear. It definitely is not a settings issue just a seriously flawed product IMHO.

I would like to whole heartedly appologise to anyone whom I may have disagreed with regarding the stability/quality of the IPPBX. I was wrong but in my defence we have only experienced major issues when more than 3 users are using the system or on a system which is progressively busy.

Sorry guys and gals!!!!

More
19 Mar 2010 17:47 #27 by doubledutch
No problem. Glad to find out you don't really work for Draytek! ;)

Hopefully, when the ippbx has better firmware then we will get another one - until then we can't recommend it to anyone (unlike other Draytek products which are normally great - we have less problems with Draytek routers than any other router). Shame really.

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
21 Mar 2010 19:22 #28 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820

doubledutch wrote: No problem. Glad to find out you don't really work for Draytek! ;)

Hopefully, when the ippbx has better firmware then we will get another one - until then we can't recommend it to anyone (unlike other Draytek products which are normally great - we have less problems with Draytek routers than any other router). Shame really.

Hi doubledutch,

I totally agree with you!

It's a real big shame which is affecting reputations. Not only for resellers, but for DrayTek Corp, SEG Communications and more importantly the small businesses which have rolled out this product and have had major issues with it!

More
21 Mar 2010 23:46 #29 by admin
Replied by admin on topic PSTN function of IPPBX 2820
The one I've set up works fine (as far as I can tell) so is this something specific to ISDN ?

Forum Administrator

More
22 Mar 2010 04:46 #30 by doubledutch
No, I did not use ISDN on my unit. I'm a programmer and from the amount of crashing I experienced it appears to be something fundamental - like a stack problem or something wrong with a routine that gets called often - either than or a hardware problem?

It was annoying though that it had a different feature set to the latest 2820 firmware (some of the useful new features from the 2820 were missing, it appears to be based on 2820 firmware from about a year ago?).