2820n DNS Issues

• topboy
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2009 10:00 #1 by topboy
2820n DNS Issues was created by topboy
Hi

Just got myself a 2820n and so far so good except for 1 problem

Im connected with BE internet on the Static IP service.

I have setup the MPoA settings correctly for this service with static IP.

My router LAN ip settings are set to DHCP relay as i have a Windows Domain DHCP server - no problems here either.

The problem is as follows

Everytime I change the settings on the LAN tab for the DNS settings, it also changes my WAN dns settings.

I thought the idea here was that you set your WAN DNS settings page to point to your external DNS servers at your ISP and could set the LAN DNS settings to dns servers on your LAN.

I have tried this with the Force DNS manual setting checked and unchecked and it makes no difference.

Everytime I change the DNS setting in LAN or WAN it changes it in the other area as well as if the WAN & LAN DNS settings are linked together whn making changes.

I'm on Firmware : 3.3.1_RC12a Build Date/Time : Mar 10 2009 14:23:14

I'm wondering if this is happening because im telling the router to DHCP relay

This is also causing a problem for VPN dialin clients as when the DNS settings on the WAN page are set to my ISP DNS servers, the VPN dialin users get the same external DNS server settings instead of the internal one i want them to get.

Anyone out there from Draytek and the community that can help on this please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2009 11:22 #2 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic 2820n DNS Issues
If you have a server providing DHCP services then you need to DISABLE the DHCP in the router.
DHCP relay allows DHCP requests to be routed, which is not what you want, and it may well be the cause of the problems you are experiencing.

• topboy
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2009 11:29 #3 by topboy
Replied by topboy on topic 2820n DNS Issues

runningdeere wrote: If you have a server providing DHCP services then you need to DISABLE the DHCP in the router.
DHCP relay allows DHCP requests to be routed, which is not what you want, and it may well be the cause of the problems you are experiencing.

Thanks but why would i want to turn DHCP relay off.

All my LAN clients are wireless connected to the router so how will they get thier DHCP lease?

Thanks again

More
08 Apr 2009 11:45 #4 by runningdeere
Providing you are not using different subnets for the wired and wireless (ie they are all in the same IP range) then the DHCP requests should pass between the wireless and wired without any problems.

• topboy
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2009 12:33 #5 by topboy
Replied by topboy on topic 2820n DNS Issues

runningdeere wrote: Providing you are not using different subnets for the wired and wireless (ie they are all in the same IP range) then the DHCP requests should pass between the wireless and wired without any problems.

Ok my bad...I thought relay was needed to instruct the clients to obtain the IP reservation from the relay address.

If i turn off DHCP relay how are the VPN clients going to obtain a DHCP address and obtain my internal DNS server ip adresses?

I see the setting in the VPN section that says use this address if DHCP is disabled but it doesn't have any DNS settings there to force.

More
08 Apr 2009 13:47 #6 by runningdeere
Not sure exactly how that works, although I assume they would use the DHCP servers set in the LAN section.

Moderators: Sami