DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n DNS Issues

More
10 Apr 2009 19:13 #13 by splash
Replied by splash on topic 2820n DNS Issues

topboy wrote:

splash wrote: I'm also having the same issue, and it's bloody annoying! I have a number of test boxes on my LAN, and I'm wanting to use the Vigor 2820n to resolve DNS for LAN clients, then forward any other requests to OpenDNS. When I change the LAN DNS to use the Vigor for DNS it also changes the WAN DNS, which obviously isn't going to resolve my LAN addresses. I've just tried flashing to 3.3.2 RC1 in an attempt to resolve this but the issue is still there. Any comment from Draytek would be appreciated.

It must be a bug

The router is advertised as being able to act as a DNS cache

Why would draytek put a DNS settings area in the LAN settings page and another DNS settings area in the WAN settings page.

Im going to raise a support ticket on the Support page as when i spoke to SEG they told me that this is the correct way of reporting problems....I suggest you do the same and anyone else that is having this problem should do the same as well

I dropped a ticket in last night ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• topboy
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2009 11:06 #14 by topboy
Replied by topboy on topic 2820n DNS Issues
Could everyone that owns a 2820 try this please and post results here so Support can get the heads up on whats going on

Try changing your LAN DNS server settings and then go look at your WAN DNS settings and see if it changed to the same setting you put in the LAN setting.

Use your router IP for the test

Many thanks and dont forget to post your results

Topboy

More
11 Apr 2009 12:21 #15 by rmccardal
Replied by rmccardal on topic 2820n DNS Issues
I dont see why you are playing with anything DNS related on the router if you are running an internal AD setup with dhcp and dns. The DNS server should be resolving all internal, and using an external source (ISP DNS) to resolve external addresses. The router does nothing here.

The router will pick up dns from the isp, and If it were running dhcp it would pass this to any clients. but it's not, so it's not relevant.

DHCP relay should also be OFF. Dial-In users will be assigned IP addresses as configured in the VPN and Remote Access --> PPP general setup

More
11 Apr 2009 12:32 #16 by splash
Replied by splash on topic 2820n DNS Issues

rmccardal wrote: I dont see why you are playing with anything DNS related on the router if you are running an internal AD setup with dhcp and dns. The DNS server should be resolving all internal, and using an external source (ISP DNS) to resolve external addresses. The router does nothing here.

The router will pick up dns from the isp, and If it were running dhcp it would pass this to any clients. but it's not, so it's not relevant.

DHCP relay should also be OFF. Dial-In users will be assigned IP addresses as configured in the VPN and Remote Access --> PPP general setup

I'm not running AD DNS though, and internal DNS isn't being resolved as DHCP is configuring the WAN DNS servers for LAN DNS.

• topboy
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2009 14:01 #17 by topboy

rmccardal wrote: I dont see why you are playing with anything DNS related on the router if you are running an internal AD setup with dhcp and dns. The DNS server should be resolving all internal, and using an external source (ISP DNS) to resolve external addresses. The router does nothing here.

When VPN cleints dial in they get a DHCP address from the router BUT they also pick up thier DNS settings from the router as well which is where the problem starts because they are getting DNS servers for the ISP NOT the LAN

I have turned DHCP off on the router and set the VPN general page to have a starting address for the VPN DHCP clients.

What i think the router SHOULD be doing is as follows

Turn on DHCP relay and point it to your internal DHCP server
The VPN cleint should then get a DHCP address from the internal DHCP server you just set in the step above.
VPN cleints then get a DHCP reservation with all the correct setting from you LAN DHCP server.

This however is not working for some reason.

• topboy
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2009 14:12 #18 by topboy

splash wrote:

I'm not running AD DNS though, and internal DNS isn't being resolved as DHCP is configuring the WAN DNS servers for LAN DNS.

Could you do the following

Run a command DOS prompt
Type ipconfig/all
publish the results in this thread about the DNS servers your client is using

My bet is your cleints are getting your ISP DNS server IP addresses from the router and instead they should show a DNS server setting of your routers IP

As i have said before this device is advertised as being a DNS Cache / Proxy so the LAN clients should use the router LAN ip as there DNS server

The Router should then DNS Cache / Proxy it's DNS requests by forwarding on the request using the ISP DNS server address in the WAN settings page BUT this is not happening as it is broken

Taken from Drayteks website -

Network Features:
DHCP Client / Relay / Server
Dynamic DNS
NTP Client (Syncrhonise Router Time)
Call Scheduling (Enable/Trigger Internet Access by Time)
RADIUS Client
DNS Cache / Proxy
Microsoftâ„¢ UPnP Support

Moderators: Sami