DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n DNS Issues

• topboy
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2009 15:07 #7 by topboy
Replied by topboy on topic 2820n DNS Issues

runningdeere wrote: Not sure exactly how that works, although I assume they would use the DHCP servers set in the LAN section.

Thats my point

I tried what you said

I disabled the DHCP relay and set the LAN DNS settings to my internal DNS servers IP addresses and this replicated onto the WAN settings once again.

So it would appear that the DHCP relay is not at fault here.

Still trying to figure this out as by the nature of the setup you should be able to enter WAN isp DNS server IP addresses into the WAN section for internet connectivity and LAN DNS addresses in the LAN section so that internal clients resolve against thos addresses.

Anyone else like to comment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2009 15:29 #8 by runningdeere
Replied by runningdeere on topic 2820n DNS Issues
OK, well there's something really weird going on there then.

I would start by re-flashing the firmware to the latest released version (3.3.0) - Even if you have this version it is probably a good idea. Use the rst file so that it resets all the settings and effectively sets it back to factory defaults.

Then set up your WAN / LAN settings and see what happens before you enter any firewall rules or VPN connections etc.

More
08 Apr 2009 19:00 #9 by louis-m
Replied by louis-m on topic 2820n DNS Issues

Still trying to figure this out as by the nature of the setup you should be able to enter WAN isp DNS server IP addresses into the WAN section for internet connectivity and LAN DNS addresses in the LAN section so that internal clients resolve against thos addresses.

ok.....
the wan dns settings (under wan) can be set by:

1. either dynamically by isp
2. statically by yourself (you will need to set a static ip etc for this)

the lan dns settings (under lan) can be set by

1. either isp's dns settings OR
2. statically by yourself by ticking "force dns" settings

dhcp relay is only used if you have another dhcp server on the network and isn't really worth the hassle anyway as mentioned above because any dhcp server on the same network will work.
if the draytek is configured as dhcp server, then its not a relay agent.

2820 = 3.3.2_RC5
2950 = 3.2.4

• topboy
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2009 21:34 #10 by topboy

louis-m wrote:

ok.....
the wan dns settings (under wan) can be set by:

1. either dynamically by isp
2. statically by yourself (you will need to set a static ip etc for this)

the lan dns settings (under lan) can be set by

1. either isp's dns settings OR
2. statically by yourself by ticking "force dns" settings

dhcp relay is only used if you have another dhcp server on the network and isn't really worth the hassle anyway as mentioned above because any dhcp server on the same network will work.
if the draytek is configured as dhcp server, then its not a relay agent.

Ok let me try and show what im trying to do here

I have a Windows Active Directory Domain that runs a DHCP server
This same server also run DNS as this is required for Active Directory.
This server will forward any DNS requests that it doesnt know about onto the internet

I have a number of Wireless LAN clients that connect to the Domain
They obtain there DHCP from the server
They also use the server for DNS requests

I also have a number of VPN clients that need to VPN into the LAN via the internet using the routers VPN functionality

So my thinking for the router setup is as follows and please correct me if im wrong

The WAN side of the router should have it's DNS settings as my ISP's DNS servers

The LAN side of the router should be able to have my LAN server DNS setting in order for the VPN clients to obtain the setting when connecting in so they can resolve devices on my LAN.

This WAN side DNS and LAN side DNS seems to be the thing that is broken.

If you change the settings on one it replicates the settings to the other.

i.e. I change the WAN side DNS settings then the LAN side gets changed to the same settings at the same time.

This seems wrong to me

Are you guys able to have different settings on your WAN DNS and LAN dns at the same time?

More
09 Apr 2009 19:19 #11 by splash
Replied by splash on topic 2820n DNS Issues
I'm also having the same issue, and it's bloody annoying! I have a number of test boxes on my LAN, and I'm wanting to use the Vigor 2820n to resolve DNS for LAN clients, then forward any other requests to OpenDNS. When I change the LAN DNS to use the Vigor for DNS it also changes the WAN DNS, which obviously isn't going to resolve my LAN addresses. I've just tried flashing to 3.3.2 RC1 in an attempt to resolve this but the issue is still there. Any comment from Draytek would be appreciated.

• topboy
  • Topic Author
More
10 Apr 2009 19:08 #12 by topboy

splash wrote: I'm also having the same issue, and it's bloody annoying! I have a number of test boxes on my LAN, and I'm wanting to use the Vigor 2820n to resolve DNS for LAN clients, then forward any other requests to OpenDNS. When I change the LAN DNS to use the Vigor for DNS it also changes the WAN DNS, which obviously isn't going to resolve my LAN addresses. I've just tried flashing to 3.3.2 RC1 in an attempt to resolve this but the issue is still there. Any comment from Draytek would be appreciated.

It must be a bug

The router is advertised as being able to act as a DNS cache

Why would draytek put a DNS settings area in the LAN settings page and another DNS settings area in the WAN settings page.

Im going to raise a support ticket on the Support page as when i spoke to SEG they told me that this is the correct way of reporting problems....I suggest you do the same and anyone else that is having this problem should do the same as well

Moderators: Sami