DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VLAN Set up

More
10 Feb 2016 17:04 #1 by haywardi
VLAN Set up was created by haywardi
Can someone help me please.

I have a 2850 running 3.6.6.1

I have set up a port based VLAN separating two parts of my network. This worked well, until I realised that only one half of the VLAN can see the printers.

LAN1 is set to use DHCP starting at 192.168.1.20
LAN2 is set to use DHCP starting at 192.168.10.20

No problem I thought, I would take my printers and create a third LAN, plugged into port 3. I configured it the same way as above setting the LAN3 IP range to use DHCP starting at 192.168.30.20 and I enabled inter-lan routing of LAN3 by clicking across LAN1 & LAN2 thinking this would make LAN3 visible for routing across LAN1 & LAN2.

The printers quite happily pick up their new IP address, but from a PC on LAN1 I try to ping one of the printers and it times out.

Thoughts of what I may have missed out?

Thanks in advance.
Iain

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
11 Feb 2016 12:43 #2 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: VLAN Set up
Does the 2850 do INTER-VLAN routing?
IF not then you wont be able to see the other VLANs, that's the whole idea of time

More
11 Feb 2016 12:47 #3 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: VLAN Set up
Hi Sicon,

Well there is an entry in "LAN->General Set-up" section headed "Inter-LAN Routing" and I can click LAN1 & LAN2 entries (LAN3 is automatically clicked and can't be changed).

Does it work??? Would appear not, but then I don't know if something else need to be set to make it work.

Thoughts?
Iain

Iain

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
11 Feb 2016 14:03 #4 by sicon
Here Lan1 can see lan2 (this is a 2860 though)
you shouldn't need any firewall rules either but if its not working then it wont hurt to try adding them
I might have it the wrong way round but you should get the idea :D

More
11 Feb 2016 14:50 #5 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: VLAN Set up
Hi Sicon,

I'm not sure how to cut and paste the images, but I can say that:

My entry for LAN1 is the same, except I have a V under DHCP and different IP address (192.168.1.1).
My entry for LAN2 is the same except I have a 'tick' under DHCP and a different IP address (192.168.10.1)
I have an entry for LAN3 which has the status 'ticked' and the DHCP 'ticked' and an ip address of (192.168.30.1)

Under inter-routing I have the LAN3 horizontal line ticked on LAN 1 & LAN2 and LAN3

However, can you also send me a picture of your VLAN page? As there may be differences there.

Thanks in advance
Iain

Iain

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
11 Feb 2016 16:27 #6 by sicon
Out VLANs are all dot1q (tagged) VLANS and not port based so the VLANS all trunk on one port

LANS 1,2,3 and 4 all go into the Switch Via Port 1 and the switch itself is configured for the VLANS