DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 spurious retranmission errors FTTC VDSL

• rapiddescent
  • Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2017 09:14 #1 by rapiddescent
2860 spurious retranmission errors FTTC VDSL was created by rapiddescent
We've got 2 sites in the same town; both with 2860n and both using TT Business FTTC VDSL service. No WAN bridging etc, just simple internet access.

Users began to report "slow response" about 2 weeks ago (from date of this post) with some sites totally inaccessible. Sure enough both of them had massive numbers of TCP retransmission and "Spurious Transmission" errors showing in Wireshark. It appeared to impact https browsing more than anything else (some sites were fine, others would not load at all). We checked that the HTTPS MiTM filtering at TalkTalk Business had been switched off on both accounts (it had).

Both 2860n had the latest firmware.

Both sites fixed by:

• using an openreach modem in one site and then connecting to the 2860 via wan port

• the other site removed the draytek 2860n and replaced with a Huawei HG635 ISP provided router

So, this looks like some sort of incompatibility with the 2860n, potentially introduced by something that has changed in our local area/TalkTalk business.
Anyone seen anything like this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• idmanager
  • User
  • User
More
26 Sep 2017 16:48 #2 by idmanager
Replied by idmanager on topic Re: 2860 spurious retranmission errors FTTC VDSL
just having the same issues to be honest, i have had open reach out to check the line, even though it don't loose sync still stays at 79,999 / 20,000 but there is no thoughput, open reach engineer found nothing, and one month has passed and BT are scratching there heads trying to figure out why my perfect line is having issues the draytek 2860n does no resync or loose connection

More
27 Sep 2017 11:02 #3 by stoogie
OK, so I am having the same issue too with a BT Consumer line... FTTC, whilst I am not getting 80Mbps (nearer 20...), I am seeing ever deceasing performance over a couple of weeks, with the 2860 dropping down to around 6Mbps... and poor connectivity.

Interestingly, and as comparison, I have a second line which is a BT Business and its bridged via a Business Hub 5 (running PPP, not DHCP) and its a solid 24Mbps, and does not drop.

That line is likely in the same cable as the consumer from here to the cabinet, so should be pretty much identical in terms of performance.

BT engineers have been scratching their heads on this one... had three visits so far. Each time they reset the line and the line checks out fine. Once its put back on the Draytek it starts to drop after a few days.

I am leaving it idling on the Hub 5 Consumer box for now to see if it drops like before, but actually, its gone up 3Mbps from 16 when the reset it Monday to today... will keep it that way for a bit longer... :roll:

More
27 Sep 2017 11:27 #4 by stoogie
Also, the engineer said that the line was giving no CRC Errors when checking it with the tester on it, and I know the 2860vn was seeing them...

What firmware / Modem code are you using? I was on 3.8.4. BT, but switched up to 3.8.5 VT3 from the US downloads after two engineer visits in an attempt to see if that fixed it - it didn't.

Modem code 576D17_A/B/C HW: A

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
27 Sep 2017 18:19 #5 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: 2860 spurious retranmission errors FTTC VDSL
It sounds like the problems that ensued for people on ECI <IFTN> FTTC cabinets when BT turned on G.INP.

I hope they aren't messing with that again.

You can see which cabinet type you are on in the VDSL stats.

In the advanced stats if ReTxEnable is showing values then G.INP is running.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
27 Sep 2017 19:29 #6 by mbames
Curious, my mate on Vodafone 80/20 with a 2860 has suggested his connection is doing something similar over the last few weeks, and that rebooting helps for a few days and then performance drops off. I've not actually been around to see the issue for myself though.