DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Is v3.8.9.2_BT stable?

• qwaz01
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2018 16:26 #19 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: Is v3.8.9.2_BT stable?
We are having strange issues with our 2860 since upgrading to v3.8.9.2 early last week.

We have dual WAN (EoFFTC VDSL2 and Virgin Media Business) and since upgrading the EoFTTC has been unstable. The connection stays in sync but dropping blocks of 5-10 pings every minute or so and occasionaly going offline for 2-3minutes before coming back. Rebooting the router seems to settle it down for a bit but then the packet loss starts again. I have raised a ticket with our EoFFTC provider but then stumbled across this thread so wonder if its a bigger issue. I called SEG dealer support and was advised to upgrade to v3.8.9.3 to see if that resolves the issue so testing at the moment. Previously this line has been stable for 2 years without any issues at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2018 16:53 #20 by geroi
Replied by geroi on topic Re: Is v3.8.9.2_BT stable?

qwaz01 wrote: We are having strange issues with our 2860 since upgrading to v3.8.9.2 early last week.

We have dual WAN (EoFFTC VDSL2 and Virgin Media Business) and since upgrading the EoFTTC has been unstable. The connection stays in sync but dropping blocks of 5-10 pings every minute or so and occasionaly going offline for 2-3minutes before coming back. Rebooting the router seems to settle it down for a bit but then the packet loss starts again. I have raised a ticket with our EoFFTC provider but then stumbled across this thread so wonder if its a bigger issue. I called SEG dealer support and was advised to upgrade to v3.8.9.3 to see if that resolves the issue so testing at the moment. Previously this line has been stable for 2 years without any issues at all.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing!!! Now on 2862 as well!

• qwaz01
  • User
  • User
More
18 Sep 2018 09:48 #21 by qwaz01
Same issue with v3.8.9.3 firmware.

I ran a ping overnight and it seemed ok but once more traffic strarted going through the router the EoFTTC (VDSL2) started getting worse and worse. It starts by dropping occasional blocks of 5-10 pings but then gradually gets worse until it can only maintain blocks of 5-10 successful pings. The whole time the connection stays in sync and ARP Detect keeps it green and online.

We have a spare Vigor 2860 so I have downgraded that to v3.8.8, restored our config file and installed that as a test.

More
18 Sep 2018 10:16 #22 by geroi

qwaz01 wrote: Same issue with v3.8.9.3 firmware.

I ran a ping overnight and it seemed ok but once more traffic strarted going through the router the EoFTTC (VDSL2) started getting worse and worse. It starts by dropping occasional blocks of 5-10 pings but then gradually gets worse until it can only maintain blocks of 5-10 successful pings. The whole time the connection stays in sync and ARP Detect keeps it green and online.

We have a spare Vigor 2860 so I have downgraded that to v3.8.8, restored our config file and installed that as a test.

Do you have Brute Force Protection enabled ?

I've disabled Brute Force Protection on my 2862/3.8.9.2_BT yesterday and since then - all seems OK. Pings on WAN2/EoFTTC are 100%. Even the WebGUI is loading up immediately, without causing havoc with router's performance. So far - so good.

• qwaz01
  • User
  • User
More
18 Sep 2018 10:19 #23 by qwaz01

geroi wrote:
Do you have Brute Force Protection enabled ?

I've disabled Brute Force Protection on my 2862/3.8.9.2_BT yesterday and since then - all seems OK. Pings on WAN2/EoFTTC are 100%. Even the WebGUI is loading up immediately, without causing havoc with router's performance. So far - so good.

Yes i have all ticked

v3.8.8 seems stable so far so maybe its an issue with 3.8.9.x and Brute Force

More
18 Sep 2018 13:37 #24 by geroi
I'm blaming Brute Force Protection on 2860 & 2862 when they are used with load-balancing and with any firmware released after May Hacking.

I have 2862/3.8.9.2 without Brute Force Protection = works no bother on load balancing since yesterday.

I then have 2860/3.8.9.2 with Brute Force Protection = intermittent issues with WAN1/WAN2 & packets being lost, PINGs droppping, VPNs dropping while the router thinks that all is OK with WAN1/WAN2.

I will have ultimate proof once I disable Brute Force Protection 2860/3.8.9.2 and re-enable load-balancing.

Watch this space.